Dynamic Components in Large Buildings 1000+ components - Performance Problem - Ways to tackle this?

Hey guys, not trying to revive this old thread but I got extremely side tracked on other projects (sketchup isn’t their first priority for me, although that would be awesome)

I did want to say thanks @john_mcclenahan for your discussion. I realize that I do need to keep complexity down and that image technique you showed me was great. I ended up doing that for many models recently, like a keyboard with 1000+ edges to a box with a keyboard picture.

Also @pcmoor and @MichaelW thank you for your guidance. The component @pcmoor provided works amazing in SketchUp. I need to realize a bit better what exactly you did, but it does look like the formulas were simplified to not create multiple copies, which what was causing the extreme slowness. I guess I didn’t realize that groups could be utilized in dynamic component design.

And @MichaelW those renders you produced look great, I’d be interested to see more of what you do at some point if possible.

Again, thanks a load to everyone, it was not unseen or under appreciated!

1 Like

I guess you are in the warehousing industry as well. Below is one of the warehouses I have modeled previously.

Hi Jeremy.
An added bonus I did not explain
With regards to the DC, turn the options down (1 bay, 2 shelves) to save file space then save it to your component folders (via right click Save As…)
Then alter the one in the drawing to say 10 bays, 4 shelves
enter this (double click) to select the next level called Aisle with some #number (or select via outliner) and explode 4 times so you will be left with the parent component and the option data with all its internal bits as raw geometry just as @MichaelW suggested. This after a purge to delete any rubbish, will greatly reduce the file size.
Then to reinstate simply swap it with the saved DC and its dynamic properties will return

Exactly Michael, an industrial engineer as well although only a few years in to the career.

I love those drawings, this is what I’m aiming for and I am close. It seems as both of your warehouses were very pallet driven, and probably pallet-in, pallet-out operations. Is this so? Did you see model other operations with value added services? (pick,pack,ship?)

Yes, Jeremy. The 2 examples above are mostly pallet-in, pallet-out. There are some products that go through the VAS processes, but the proportion is not as high.

The below 2 examples have a higher percentage of volume requiring value added service.

Warehouse A
VAS1-1

Warehouse B

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.