DXF 2D Export Not Working To Full Scale

I didn’t say that I didn’t appreciate your help. I read all your advice, and tried it out. But your quote “It works fine with no special gymnastics or anything.” is correct for your environment, but not for swabygw and mine. So there must still be something different between your and our environments.

If you feel offended, then I apologize. Was really not my intention. I really do appreciate your help.

I think that the export could be different for everyone because the export process considers your displays resolution. Thus, some can reproduce the problem and some cannot.

Gaylord Swaby

swabygw@hotmail.com

Your file has a scene called “last image export”. It uses perspective projection so if that is what you exported, the scale will be wrong.

You could also use the “3D Model” option to export. With that, you don’t have to bother about view directions, projection methods or scaling. It has the additional benefit of exporting your arcs and circles as true AutoCad arcs and circles instead of segmented lines. If the face in your model is irrelevant to your usage you can omit it.

I got some feedback from the support, and it works now!

Small detail, but after selecting parallel projection and top view, you have to click on “Update Scene”.

You will get a dialog, in which you just leave the default settings. Below are my settings.

Press OK, and after that, Save your drawing. And now Export/DXF/2D, and make sure you select “Full Scale 1:1”.

This export showed the correct dimensions for me.

@Anssi I also tried your suggestion, because indeed, the circles in the 2D export are segments. But I would like to get real circles as well, because when I import in EasyEDA (I use the DXF-file as my PCB board outline), the circles are automatically translated in cutouts. If I use 2D, it only sees segments, hence no cutouts are done.

But when I use Export / DXF / 3D, it seems that EasyEDA is not liking it. The file gets completely mangled. A part is rotated 90%, and some circles are even appearing outside the boundary. See below what I get.

Although in DWG TrueView 2018, it looks fine. So for this case, I think that EasyEDA is creating the trouble. So probably nothing to do with SketchUp this time.

So still my solution is that I go via the free tool LibreCAD, and there I reconstruct the segmented circles with real circles (not so many of them).

At least, I can skip the step of scaling :slight_smile:

To all of you, thanks a lot for your help!

And now I also found the reason why EasyEDA had trouble. Part of my drawing was a component (the part that rotated 90°). The rest were just small line sections on top of that component. EasyEDA clearly didn’t like that.

I simple exploded the whole drawing, and exported it again. Now it works as a charm, and I don’t need LibreCAD any longer.

Below the final result, showing all my circles as nice cutouts.

People have had similar trouble importing mirrored or rotated circles and arcs into some CNC software. They seem to have a more strict interpretation of what is acceptable than what the standard AutoCad DXF format allows.

I found the reason why my component was rotated 90°. I simply used the wrong axis in SketchUp. If I took “Top View”, it also showed it 90° rotated.

Anyway, I rotated all my stuff in SketchUp, and this solved all the issues.