Drawing Help- Amphitheater sloped areas

So I have a modeling program that can import skp files, the only catch is that I need to be able to have each “face” be 4 sided…no triangles. Here’s what I’m trying to do, but I can’t get the faces to fill in unless I divide them into triangles…any suggestions?

It comes down to basic geometry. In order to have faces, all edges must lie in the same plane. Ensure your edges do that and you won’t have any trouble creating the faces.

You could redraw it with the follow-me command and an arc. Then draw quads on the bottom and delete inner faces. I used Solid Inspector².

2018-07-16%2015_28_55

It probably wouldn’t work for an irregular slope though… Which program are you importing this to? Most programs I know of can handle triangles. Is there a chance that the triangular faces aren’t importing properly because they’re reversed faces?

It’s a speaker modeling program, and it definitely cannot import triangles ( for the particular area I’musing the drawing for)

That’s what I thought too, and as far as I can tell they are.

QuadFace Tools
“Adds a suite of tools for working with non-planar quads in SketchUp.”
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/quadface-tools

If they were, closing the loop of four edges or tracing one of the existing edges would result in a face.

It would suck if one wanted to make triangular speakers in that program…
05%20PM

But here’s an easy way to convert triangles into quads…

2 Likes