Dimension value missing

I turned on Hidden stuff and selected the part of the model I could see and then used Invert Selection from the Edit menu. I tried zooming in on those tiny entities but still couldn’t see them so I deleted them. Zoom Extents to get back to the model nearer the origin.

Tags are things you give to objects (groups, componnets, dimensions, labels). They are used primarily for controlling visibility of those objects in scenes. Untagged should be left active at all times and ALL edges and faces should be left untagged. Only groups and components that contain the geometry should get tagged.

Unused stuff. That screen shot shows the kinds of things. Mainly components and materials.Deleting a component from a model only removes it from the model space. It doesn’t remove it from the file. Looks like you had been inserting lots of components and deleting them but never purging them. Also, as long as the components haven’t been purged, the materials they use will remain in the file, too. As you can see, that creates a lot of clutter in your model and can result in very sluggish computer performance.

1 Like

@DaveR is correct. There are seven problem entities that are a very large distance from the main model. One of them is a group named “V-Ray Infinite Plane” that contains a single rectangular face. Unless you are actively rendering using V-Ray, that is surely not needed. I don’t know why or how it would come to be so far from the origin. The others are loose edges. All these are far enough from the model origin compared to their size that it is difficult to see or select them. It is a small enough amount of stuff that erasing them should have no serious consequences to your model.

After the cleanup, I notice that your scenes are all aiming at places where there is nothing visible in the model. I wonder, did the model have lots of content at some time that you have since deleted?

Once it is repaired, I have no problem seeing the dimensions in your model, though I notice that they are placed directly atop surfaces, and I suppose that could lead to z-fighting that would make them disappear from views at certain distances or directions. Try setting them off a bit in front of or to the side of the related objects. Or, as @DaveR also suggested, learn how to do them in LayOut.

Please don’t include your signature information in your posts. It is against forum policy, and it can leak personal info to robot website scrapers.

2 Likes

Super informative
Thanks

Best
Tim

| DaveR SketchUp Sage
January 28 |

• | - |

tsmeehan:

How did you find the tiny entities?

I turned on Hidden stuff and selected the part of the model I could see and then used Invert Selection from the Edit menu. I tried zooming in on those tiny entities but still couldn’t see them so I deleted them. Zoom Extents to get back to the model nearer the origin.

tsmeehan:

What is tag usage?

Tags are things you give to objects (groups, componnets, dimensions, labels). They are used primarily for controlling visibility of those objects in scenes. Untagged should be left active at all times and ALL edges and faces should be left untagged. Only groups and components that contain the geometry should get tagged.

Unused stuff. That screen shot shows the kinds of things. Mainly components and materials.Deleting a component from a model only removes it from the model space. It doesn’t remove it from the file. Looks like you had been inserting lots of components and deleting them but never purging them. Also, as long as the components haven’t been purged, the materials they use will remain in the file, too. As you can see, that creates a lot of clutter in your model and can result in very sluggish computer performance.

Seconded. @tsmeehan Please read keeping the Forum tidy in Guidelines.
https://forums.sketchup.com/guidelines#keep-tidy

So pleas edit the above posts and remove the signature information and add to profile if necessary.

Done
thought I was just e-mailing

1 Like

GREAT! THANKS VM…you suggestion worked - never fooled with that setting?