Dificulties with Diffusion

If I make a design in sketchup like this:

why the Difusion-extension comes up with this? :

What am I doing wrong?

If you want something more realistic and with respect to your used materials, don’t use AI but use a renderer…
Those 2 are NOT the same!

Diffusion takes what you feed it and uses AI to create an image based on it. It applies its “knowledge base” to make something “original”.

1 Like

Thanx. I understand. But…in what cases is Diffusion then applicable?

If you don’t care about the above…
At least for now.
SketchUp Diffusion is in beta stage, lots of things have to change before you can expect an output that is usefull for commercial work…

1 Like

inspiration ? for now ? inspiration mostly, it can be ok with quick non detailed models too.

you’ll see that if you were to do a quick 10 min version of your model, no details, no windows… just rectangles, you would get a similar result.
so yeah, more a concept thing for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just did this as a quick example. I could have added more detail to the blocks and I could have added more prompts but for this example it was fine.

The model:

The prompts:

“Brutalist style apartment towers. winter. snow”

The result:

I got decent results for no more effort than I put in.

If you are more interested in keeping your model geometry and materials while still showing the AI-generated background, you could turn off the Match Photo Foreground Photo in the style.

I expect this AI stuff will improve with time but for now if you want more control over what you get, using a proper rendering application will be the way to go. Diffusion is nice for the inspiration bit, though.

Diffusion might give you ideas you hadn’t thought of. I used it on this.

It gave me this:

It never would have occurred to me to cover the stucco on the brick with fabric. I still wouldn’t do it but …

5 Likes
5 Likes

ok, thanx

Building on that, Diffusion takes the image and text prompts you provide, searches its “knowledge base” for images with similar things, and builds a new image based on the matches it finds. It understands nothing about geometry, lighting or materials etc., it just concludes that it has often seen that effect on things like what you requested, so it puts them in. For example, lighting and reflections are governed by how things appeared in its training data, not on any kind of rendering or ray tracing.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing that up, didn’t know that as I have no acces to Diffusion… :+1:

1 Like

I don’t particularly see the issue. It’s a pretty good visualization of what you modeled, down to most details and materials. Anything off is down to a weak prompt.

Here I find the Match Photo Foreground Photo in the style. Don’t know what you mean…

What do you mean? What don’t you understand? I was referring to the Match Photo settings in the Style properties.

@virtueelprincenhage I adjusted the settings to Respect Model Geometry to the max at 1.5 and prompt influence at the lowest setting 5. This may get you better results for what you might be looking for.

Diffusion is a great tool to get ideas, you can make some basic shapes and it with the right prompts you can get awesome results that could help with the creative process. If you have already the project and model developed and you need to get photorealistic renders to show a client, you must use a different rendering engine like Vray, Enscape, Twinmotion, D5 or Blender among a lot more engines on the market. Theres also a rendering engine called Veras that creates renders using AI, it respects more the model and materials but still it will interpret some things, I tried it and liked it but I needed an engine that generates renders faithfull to the model and design, Ive used Midjourney and Dall-E to get inspiration but now Diffusion is my favorite tool when I´m looking for inspiration.

1 Like

Conceptual design. If you want to give your client a quick idea of how the project will roughly look with different options (without spending too much time adding details/textures to your model).

Reference image. Designers will often use mood boards/reference images to show the client the overall concept of a design using images lifted off books or internet. By using diffusion, you can use the project’s real model form/massing and generate images from it without copyright issues.