Crown molding angles design

Hi, I try to find suitable angles for my moldings. It’s a roof / crown molding, profile visible in pictures.

I understand that there won’t be 100% fit in the corner, but I’d like to have the best one available. My miter saw has multiple adjustments, but I’m getting quite frustrated with this (and running out of moldings…)

Is there a way to measure suitable angle to achieve the best angles for this?!

molding2|690x455

You could use a cutting plane jig at the inside corner.

Then you can run your molding profiles long… and tweak the spring angles of each wall molding—so that the two baselines meet each other, at the inside corner.

From there use the Cutting Jig, and the intersect command to see how the compound miter cuts will end up looking. Through a little bit of re-orientation of the moulding pieces, you should be able to lay them flat and measure what the compound settings are.

for angle ceilings, I work to the slope ceiling plane and fill the bottom edge of the lower cornice

1 Like

Retracted

1 Like

My three options for this would be:

1 Adjust the spring angle until a miter can be made. This means either “backing” one piece or having a larger caulk joint along the wall.

2 Making a custom rake profile cutter to match the crown.

3 Not putting crown on this ceiling.

4 Likes

The video also vividly illustrates one reason why follow-me’s projecting the profile perpendicular to the start of the path is actually a valuable feature!

The projection does change the profile, however. Great if you need to make a custom profile for the rake as Shep suggests. Not so good if you need to stick with an off-the-shelf profile all the way around.

Me thinks the saw is the wrong one for the inside corner, you need a coping saw. Check out this VIDEO

This is a classic trim problem that people naturally want to do but the geometry doesn’t actually work, and @Shep nailed the options. (Nice video on the custom cutter profile way)

In particular on #1 with stock profile, the corner will miter when the profile forms the same angle to the sloping ceiling, not the walls. Typically on an outside corner, making the trim square with the slope on both sides miters fine, and that’s what the video illustrates very briefly at the beginning before going into forming custom profiles. Take one profile and use two edges of the slope ceiling as the follow me path and SU will extrude and miter it.

It’s difficult with a cove profile. You still have to remove some material from the backside of the profile to get tight to the wall and sort of split the difference of the slope at each edge, but it is possible. I had to adjust the location inward on the rake after the follow me, but it did trick in principal. Whether you’re happy with the resulting look is another question.