Computer upgrade and maintain Sketchup

I’m about to replace my 12 year old Dell XPS 9100. I’m a low level Sketchup user, still making do with Sketchup 2017. I’ve looked at Sketchup’s recommended hardware and am interested in the following replacement.

It seems to cover all of the recommended points, but I’m not sure about the recommended 3D class video card with 1 GB of memory that supports OpenGL3.1 or higher and is up to date. Not even sure what that means but I hope this machine will meet my needs.

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 16 MB L3 cache processor with a clock rate of 3.90GHz ensures power-efficient processing to deliver boosted performance
  • 12GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM memory (1 x 8GB, 1 x 4GB) enables easy data access and allows the applications to work at their fullest
  • 512GB PCIe NVMeM.2 solid state drive provides space for storing enormous amount of data and boots the PC into an interface for easy navigation
  • AMD Radeon Graphics runs multiple tasks concurrently and delivers ultra-clear visuals without missing out any detail
  • Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth combo and MU-MIMO technology to guarantee uninterrupted wireless communication at high speeds
  • 10/100/1000 Base-T Network Ethernet allows wired reliable internet connectivity and also links devices to the local network
  • Multiple ports including four SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, one SuperSpeed USB Type-C 5Gbps signaling rate, four USB 2.0 Type-A, HDMI Out, VGA connect all your devices in a snap
  • Headphone/microphone combo and microphone jack allow you to enjoy music or videos and also to make voice calls
  • HP 3-in-1 media card reader supports SD, SDHC, SDXC for quick transfer of videos, photos and other files
  • Expansion slots include one PCI-E x16 (available), one PCI-E x1 (available) and two M.2 (occupied) for adding extra features like video, advanced graphics and more
  • Softwares including myHP HP BIOS Protection, HP Support Assistant, Adobe Offer, HP QuickDrop, HP Audio Switch and OMEN Gaming Hub are pre-installed for versatile use
  • Pre-loaded with Windows 11 Home OS to provide new user-friendly tools and performance enhancing features

If you could cope with the old Dell, you’ll have no problems with the new PC.

If there’s one spec I would think of improving, it’s the system memory. Maybe up it to 16 GB minimum. This will certainly become noticeable if you ever get heavily into 3D rendering (V-Ray, Enscape, etc.)

2 Likes