Can't move Model viewport without LO freezing then crashing

I ask because I want to be better at trouble shooting in the future.

The orginal problem started happening again…

I was resizing and moving the viewports. After setting the ortho and scale to 1/8th

In SketchUp go to Window>Model Info>Statistics and click Purge Unused. That will elimate unused stuff in your model file. In LayOut you can purge unused stuff in References. Just click on Purge.

They may matter. That indicates you’ve lost the original references or moved them so LO can’t find them. That shouldn’t slow down LayOut but if something happens to make LO lose the content on the pages, you don’t have a backup. That can create a bunch of work for you. Best practice is to create a folder for the project and keep all references in it so yu have a fixed location for them.

Try to clean up your workflow so you don’t have to do so much troubleshooting. Be discerning about the components you download from the 3D Warehouse. Choose lightweight component and first open them in a separate file so you can examine them and either clean them up if needed or reject them and look for something else. Don’t add them to your project file until you’ve made sure they are suitable. That includes dealing with excessive geometry and oversized materials. Don’t bother putting in details that can’'t be seen. Keep your models cleaned up as you go.

As for your placeholder SketchUp files, there’s no reason for them to be huge files. You have a number of quite large SketchUp files in your LO file thhat aren’t beeing used.

You could also improve things in LayOut by removing content from the document like you’ve got here.

If you want to keep images of those lights for use in your projects, make scrapbooks to contain them and bring the ones you need into your project file when you need them.

This all makes a lot of sense and you have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much for answering all my questions!

1 Like