Black Boxes, Exported Images With Text II

I’ve been playing with Joe’s SKP file and I’m getting the black boxes in SU2017, too.

1 Like

So does anyone have any more ideas about this?

Just a note about your old i5-2500K Intel APU.
This is a old 2nd generation CPU with integrated HD-3000 graphics GPU.

The HD 3000 Graphics are right on the support cutoff line. (In fact Intel may have already dropped support, which would mean no new drivers coming out to fix issues.) The latest drivers I see are from 2015:

Update your driver if you can, and the driver for your Nvidia card as well, and be sure that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia card and not the integrated Intel graphics.

There is a “how to” link for controlling your GPUs, in this thread:

Darn, I really don’t understand all that Dan, but can I update / get a better Intel APU whatever that is?

I tried the 32 and 64 bit drivers, but both said
“this computer doesn’t meet the Min requirements for installing this software”

it’s worth a shot, but Dave was having the same issue with my file and I bet he’s got a pretty good computer setup.

Yes, by getting a new notebook if it’s that form factor, or a new motherboard if it’s a desktop.

(An APU is a Central Processor and Graphics processor wrapped up in one package.)

True, and your Nvidia graphics card is relatively new.
(Dave has a GTX970 which is close to yours.)

It just may be that the driver used has a bug and needs updating.

FYI: Where to find Hardware Graphics Info for your SketchUp forum profile

In SketchUp, Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Details (button)

Hit ALT + PrintScreen keys (when the dialog has focus,) then switch back to this forum thread, and in a new post click in the editbox and hit CTRL+V keys to paste the image of the dialog box.

Here that is Dan!

COOL! Okay, that confirms that SketchUp is using the better Nvidia GPU.

The driver is a bit old (not too bad really.)

There was a new driver released last Tuesday:

Would any of these open gl settings possibly cause this problem Dan?

I was having this problem on my last computer, and now on this newer one. Wouldn’t that point to the problem being within SUp?

I also had the issue with SUp 2016, I’m using 2015 now but still have the problem.

with my last computer, when it was about to fail with pending bad sectors in the storage drive, the problem went away. Could that be a clue?

Could be, or it’s more specifically an OpenGL issue within SketchUp’s code.

… and if so, you’ll never realize the benefits of overhauls that come with newer versions.

I would try checking the “Use maximum texture size” option.
(Without the box checked, I’d think some limitation would be active.)

Then try with better anti-aliasing settings.
(Looks like you have it set for no anti-aliasing, [0x].)

Also, try with and without Fast feedback (as a last resort.)

EDIT(Add): I see in the other thread that you already tried both Fast feedback settings.

ref:

I am able to reproduce the black blocks in the text issue when exporting large images (e.g., width of 7500 pixels) with the Anti-alias option checked on my Windows machine using SketchUp 8, SketchUp 2016 and SketchUp 2017. If I export with a lower resolution (e.g. 2000 pixels) or if I export with a high resolution but with the “Anti-alias” option unchecked, I don’t see the issue. I too still see the issue in SU 2016 if I un-check “Use Hardware acceleration” so I don’t think the issue is graphics card related though I have yet to be able to reproduce it on my Mac.

I’m also able to reproduce the issue where text did not print out or is clipped in your 1 Example Corner_Connections.skp model from your first thread when exporting a large image (width of 7000) with or without the Anti-alias option checked (using SketchUp 8, SketchUp 2016 and SketchUp 2017). In the case of this issue, I can see a similar issue on my Mac when exporting with a width of 1100 pixels. Setting the leader to not be hidden or exporting at a lower resolution provided a workaround for me. Note that setting the leader to not be hidden is not a workaround for the first issue.

Joe, are you seeing similar behavior?

I’ve logged both of these issues in our bug database. Thanks so much for finding them!

1 Like

OK just exported at 6000 pix wide, tried unchecking the anti alias, and no black boxes!

having the anti alias box checked helps reduce the jaggies does it not? I can’t really see any diff in image quality.
No anti alias

with anti A