Big-ish budget for Apple hardware setup for SketchUp 3D 2020

Hi @bifterx

First of all… your response to the topic " Advice on a desktop computer " was incredible! What an amazing depth of knowledge you have… hats off to your sir! :sunglasses:

I will check her complaints about the sluggish editing are not because she’s trying to render whilst editing! :woman_facepalming:t3: (I don’t believe so but worth checking). I will make sure she is aware of the cloud rendering services too… good call @liamk887

I suspect you’re correct re: the level of detail enabled during editing. What do you think to plugins such as FredoGhost | SketchUcation to reduce the detail whilst editing and do you use / recommend any alternatives?

Coming back to the raw power of the hardware for optimal editing… I see that the £10k budget really “limits” us to the iMac Pro… once the Mac Pro has been spec’d-up and two monitors have been added into the equation; the budget is well and truly blown!

Is CPU core count -OR- core speed more important to Sketchup for general editing? The CPU options for the iMac pro are below.

• 3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
  • 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 2.5GHz 14-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
  • 2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz

What do you think the sweet spot is on memory (i.e. not overkill) 64, 128, 256?

From what you said in your last reply, it’d be worth spending the extra £550 for the Vega 64 (16GB) as opposed to the standard Vega 56 with 8GB?

Thanks in advance for the hand-holding :blush:
Al