Best way to control linetype, line thickness and color?

Not to be too naïve but SketchUp and so all the other programs have gone way too far in making the programs our profession. We are designers and builders and architects why do i need to indulge the coders in their preferences. Or course there is always a methodology to learn but this really has become absurd and extremely inefficient. Like all good ides they are only good for a limited time. It is time for SU to Catch-Up.

I got the line weight extension (as described in my previous post) done. See “PrettyPrint” on the Extension Warehouse.
It should now be possible, with some forethought and advance setup, to automatically crank out professional-quality PDFs straight from SketchUp - without needing Layout or a separate CAD program to clean things up.

1 Like

Your link at the warehouse to your website page for prettyprint is wrong

Thanks, Paul - I think I’ve fixed it now!

actually its very forward thinking - its working in 3d… for differentiation you have much better visualisation techniques such as 3D views, fog, shadows, profiling, colour … perhaps you need to see outside the box

Really don’t understand this fetish with line weights

1 Like

I for my part feel that I am very well served by SketchUp’s native division of geometry to edges, profiles and section cut edges. It follows almost exactly our national drawing standards that allow a maximum of three line weights per document, divided into the same categories (lines on surface, lines denoting a change in elevation, lines defining cut objects).

2 Likes

Lines can be 3d objects too. Lines can be colored. Lines can make shadows.
Why not make them lines? It would be more logical to start with a line and then make it into something else then I would not need to use a separate program to just print. Everything outside that box is just coders pretending to be clever and making odd decisions no one needs. What do you draw that does not need line weights?

2 Likes

Looks good. What made the heavy lines? In SU or no?

Heavy lines are the section cut fills… rest is defined by soft shadows and background fill