Bee hive stand

Any bee keeper around? I don’t have bees yet, but I’m preparing some parts already. I’ve designed a hive stand but I’m not sure whether I have overlooked important characteristics. Any ideas?

hive_stand_2.skp (784.1 KB)

And an image of the first prototype

4 Likes

Awesome! Maybe ant-proofing? From what I’ve read online, it’s something like putting oil (or tanglefoot) in a can around each leg to make an insect barrier.

1 Like

Another version following the example of this video, no big screws for the hight adjustment needed and therefore maybe a bit cheaper than the first version (?) , but less possible height variation…

2 Likes

I’ve asked some beekeepers around and ants don’t seem to be a problem here…

1 Like

Very nice. Would the frame sit on the legs using only friction or would you somehow attach the legs to the frame once it is leveled? I would expect that once it is leveled, no further adjustment would be needed unless it gets moved.

Yes, only friction, in the video, the beekeeper ist standing on top of the stand without any problem. I will build a prototype and test it…

Oops! I missed the video link. That clarifies it.

Looks like it works very well. I don’t know that I’d keep bees but I’ll remember that method of setting up a frame to be level on an uneven surface. In fact it gives me an idea for a new thing my son and I are designing for his scout troop.

1 Like

Another advantage would be the needed storage space…

2 Likes

A small modification (only one push pull :wink: ) to get a place to put a frame while inspecting the hive…

3 Likes

First prototype of the second one…
It’s very stable, I can stand on it :wink:

6 Likes

isitarenderisitarenderisitarenderisitarenderisitarenderisitarenderisitarenderisitarender?

Nononono, not this time :wink:

1 Like

I have bees and made a basic stand which worked well until the ground softened and the legs started to dig into the ground and cause stress on the leg to frame joint, a brace has now been added without fixings to the stand to stop this, there are hives already on the stand so its a bit tricky to work with.
My recommendation if the stand is going straight onto the ground is to have nice wide feet

PS: the hive stand needs to be slightly lower at the front so rain doesnt wash into the hives

1 Like

Great suggestions, thank you!

Next step ahead…

1 Like

Looking forward to the build

Above is the stand I made and as I said, although it seemed nice and strong I didn’t allow for changes in the ground surface, it would have been fine sitting on a concrete slab

This stand was brought here from the beekeeper himself, all of his stands are just like this one
so Im sure your build will be trouble free

2 Likes

Approximately 500 screws and a day later… the first boxes…

8 Likes

you’ve been a busy bee…

john

1 Like

In terms of puns, maybe Box should have replied.

2 Likes

Nobody’s asked if a buzz saw were used at any stage yet…

1 Like