After My License Expires

I’ve been trying to figure out how SketchUp behaves after my license expires. I haven’t purchased my license, yet, because of this question. My experience with licensed design software comes from Adobe, prior to their subscription-based packages. If I purchase a license, install the software, and activate said license, does my software become locked/unusable after the license expires?

No. If you buy and activate a license for SketchUp 2018 Pro, you can continue to use SketchUp 2018 Pro after the license expires. SketchUp 2018 won’t suddenly stop working. If you choose not to pay the annual fee, you lose access to SketchUp Technical Support and upgrade to the next version. If you decide to continue with the annual fee, you would have continued Tech Support access and be able to upgrade to the next version when it is released.

Ok, thank you! That’s what I was trying to figure out.

This should be clearly stated somewhere on the website. “You can still use the app after your subscription expires.”
I bet many people leave with the impression that they would only be able to use the app for a year and then they either have to pay $300 again or uninstall the thing.
Also I would suggest to advertise “$299 1st year, $120 reneval” instead of “$299USD/yr”

You’ve dredged up a more than two-year old thread which was referring to the old Classic license, not the Subscription license.

My statement is correct for the Classic license which the original poster was asking about. It is not correct for the Subscription license.

They would have the correct impression. You do not. As of early November 2020 the Classic license is not available to purchase. Only the Subscription license is available.

Why would you suggest telling people that. It is not true. The Subscription licenses is currently $299 USD per year. Period. It is not as you describe.

You might want to get your facts right before you make statements like this.

2 Likes
  • Predictable upgrade expenses: Within the year after your initial purchase, you can upgrade to the new SketchUp Pro version. After that first year, simply renew your license and enrollment in the upgrade, maintenance, and support program annually for predictable upgrade and support expenses. For a single-user license, you can renew for $120 per year. For a network license, you can renew for $400 per seat.

You might want to get your facts right before you make statements like this.

You not losing the app after your license expires is what also Google says:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+happens+when+my+sketchup+license+expires
…so (and this might sound crazy to you), sometimes people are wrong.

The undeserved snark in your response is top-notch, I hope you are not associated with the company.

You are working off old information.

2 Likes

Your links point to help pages that are no longer valid. SketchUp no longer sells permanent “classic” licenses or maintenance to them. Permanent license owners can switch to subscription for a discounted price. Permanent licenses continue to work but maintenance releases are limited to the last version the license applies to.

3 Likes

I provided the link only to illustrate how people get confused.

I understand that the SketchUp folks have a mile or more long list of help pages that “ought to be fixed”.

1 Like

Oh you mean the “$120 for renewal” link is outdated too?

I provided the link only to illustrate how people get confused.

I was referring to the Google-search link here.

Yes it is.

1 Like