Add tag of objects in outliner, allow sorting also by component name and tag

All objects in the outliner are either section planes, component instances or groups. Each object can have one instance name and one tag attached.
In the outliner, the instance name is shown along with the component name. That is good.

First wish:
It would be very helpful, if the tag name would also be displayed in the outliner.
The format of the string displayed in the outliner is now: instance_name < component_name >
Can it pls be extended to be: instance_name < component_name > tag_name ?

Like this I would have full overview of a group or component instance in the outliner without the need to click on the group/component instance in the outliner and then look in the entity info to see the tag.

Second wish:
Currently you can sort the outliner by “name”, meaning instance name and then component name.
It would be nice, if we could sort it as well first by component name and then instance name
And with the new tag name added , sorting by tag name, then instance name, then compnonent name would be good too.

Third wish:
add option to hide objects that belong to invisible tags.

Fourth wish:
option to prevent drill down in outliner for locked objects. Either only when choosing “Expand all” or in general.

Reason for this:
We name a component by what it is.
The instance name we use to indicate where and in which model variant the instance is placed.
The tag name is used to control visbility of plants, furniture, levels, etc.

So we use all three names and by adding the tag name, we would therefor be able to see all these names “describing” a group or component instance in the outliner. With the additional sorting options, checking, wether the names are properly set can be done much quicker.

(optionally) hiding objects in the outliner belonging to invisible tags is to speed up performance in case there are many objects in the model and to quicker find objects that are visible in the viewport.

A use case for “prevent drill down into locked objects” is “import a visual reference model from Trimble connect”. See the menu option" File->Trimble connect → Import visual reference model".
If you import a model as a reference, then this model is a locked object and is added as well to the outliner. When I import the surroundings (including trees, plants, streets, neighboring houses) into my model as a reference, I expected to get one entry in outliner where I cannot drill down. But instead I get the full object hierarchy of the reference model in my outliner making it unusable.

See also: outliner instability

1 Like