3Dconnexion SpaceMouse setup

I really appreciate the endorsement. Very reassuring. I think I’m going to buy it today. I’ve got enough to buy the pro wireless version. Think it’s worth it, or should I go w the compact version?

Depends on whether you intend to use it with a laptop away from base. If not, the larger size of the bigger model is probably a bit more ergonomic.

I basically only model from my desk with the thunderbolt display connected to my MacBook pro, so I guess I’ll go for the pro!

Best of luck. Do remember to open the firewall before you start the installation. If you don’t, you may be in for a whole load of pain, as I was.

Do also remember to close the firewall again straight after!

I’ve been blaming this memory hike on Sketchup but after following your posts I decided to try this so-called ”Simoncbevans method" for reinstalling Space Mouse.

I first ran a search for any & all parts of 3Dconnexion using one of the various utilities that have the uninstall function as well. Of course, I found that someone, :flushed:, during the various revisions of macOS, Sketchup & 3Dconnexion, had inadvertently installed 3Dconnexion into both the Mac Library and the User Library. Of course now 3Dconnexion is installed only in the HD Library.

After the uninstall I followed your method and found that the SM was behaving better ( smooth & controlled ) but there still seemed to be a noticable memory leak after working in Sketchup. No more slowing to a halt but there was some of the same bloody lagging about.

So I decided, despite what Einstein said about the definition of insanity, to try the same uninstall/install just once more. This time I stopped to close the firewall before I hit the restart button. Since then, three days of using Sketchup, I’ve been having the best Space Mouse experience that I’ve ever had ! Was that the key, closing the firewall before restarting ? That and a proper uninstall.

I have a wireless Space Mouse but have had to use it hardwired since I purchased it three years ago. Now I’m able to depend upon the usb plug which works just fine from a powered hub.

I don’t know for sure but what is more worrying is that I don’t think any tech guys know either! Certainly, 3DC’s technical help team have little clue about how to solve what seems to be a common problem. So we are all left with a bit of trial and error. Sooner or later persistence often solves it.

It would be interesting to know if your post helps @slbaumgartner who has not been able to completely rid himself of the memory leak issue.

Just got the Spacemouse Pro. I gotta say this thing is not as effortless as I had imagined it to me. It seems to work and everything, but the sensitivity is really extreme. I barely tap the thing and I fly off into outer space needing to zoom extents to get back. For those of you who strongly recommend it, what adjustments did you make to get it more user-friendly? Do you use it as a complete substitute for your normal mouse, or keep both out and swap between them? What tasks are best fo the space mouse vs. traditional mouse?

1 Like

disconnected it from my computer and sat it on top of papers that fly away when the windows open…

john

1 Like

I have a space mouse Pro Wireless on the left side of my keyboard and a Cad mouse on the right side. I use the Cad Mouse for all applications but only the Space mouse with CAD.

Works excellent with Windows 10. No sensitivity adjustments necessary.

I can’t find anything in the extension warehouse called “3DxSketchUp”. I even tried reaching 3DConnexion.

I did find these drivers on the 3Dconnexion website though: 3DxWare 10 Archives - 3Dconnexion US

Weird that there weren’t any instructions telling me to download it anywhere though.

I did dial the sensitivity WAY down from the default. Other than that, plan on “suffering through” the first two days of using it… worth the investment of time, though, as using it after that is SO much better than third-button orbiting.

To be clear, a 3D mouse does not replace your standard mouse, but compliments it. You must use your standard mouse, but can put al movement through the model onto the 3D mouse.

1 Like

Try looking at the speed setting (I have a Space Navigator on which it is part of the default menu on the left button, don’t know where it is on Space Mouse). I put it on the second from slowest setting to avoid this problem.

1 Like

as Aaron says, dial it right down until you get used to it then you can increase. Its bit like flying a helicopter in terms of sensitivity, its all about tiny, gradual controlled movements. Space mouse on the left, mouse on the right, I put mine inn target camera mode so its always orbiting the selected geometry or if nothing selected it follows the Mouse pointer position, so feels very natural.

1 Like

What I find is that the speed is manageable at some distance from an object but is too fast when you zoom in. However, a combination of using the SM and the scroll wheel on the standard mouse usually solves it.

Yes, I too find that once you are close to an object the standard scroll wheel or touchpad zoom is easier to manage.

As with anything, fine tuning your usage takes time, muscle memory and specific settings. The space mouse works in conjunction with a normal mouse or stylus, it doesn’t work alone. Plus you have many possible options in the 3D Connection settings, the speed, the camera position, gravity just to name a few.
I use one every day and can navigate down a twisting tunnel forward and backward rarely touching the walls, but I still zoom off screen from time to time. Clicking the middle mouse button will lock the camera and allow you to zoom straight into the position that is shown by the orbit tool icon. There are other interesting tips.
Basically the 3d connexion range are some of the most customisable bits of hardware out there. I doubt any two people in the world have them set up the same way.
I good friend of mine tried to use mine as I had it set up, completely lost. I changed it from object mode (my default) to Target Camera Mode and he was instantly able to navigate.
How you see the world around you is critical to how you use the spacemouse. If you can fly a drone by looking at the image on the camera and know what keys to hit, you need to set your spacemouse options differently to someone that can fly a drone by looking at the drone itself.

In short, they don’t work out of the box, you need to try different options and like anything, you need to practice a bit to get it right. They aren’t for everyone, but I think they are for more people than many realise.

1 Like