20' Rectangle displays as 240"

I’m using the template Into you and Production and design inches. Model Info I sent you to fractional precision 1/4 inch. I I have tried many different things, no luck.

I have been testing with a solid number, 20 (20’,20’) I get the following results.
Using the Tape Tool results are 240"

I’ve been bouncing around trying to figure what is wrong and I have not been able to come up with a solution.

240" equals 20 feet. If you want to see 20’, change the units to Architectural or Decimal Feet in Window>Model Info>Units.

Thanks. With your help I got it done.

Living Room.skp (80.0 KB)

In there a question with your model?

The units are in inches but I changed them to feet.

The problem is the window dimensions, bottom of window to floor, should be 24 inches. There are two windows on the back walls.

Okay using feet instead of inches. How would you be putting in the dimensions, when creating a rectangle and not clicking is when I enter the dimensions.
For rectangular base 193.5" X 167 3/4".
A. 193.5" = 16.25’
B. 167 3/4 = 14’
can the dimensions be entered in either feet or inches as I have indicated in the above A.
Also, how does the apostrophe affect the dimension. It seems sometimes that when I use it I get the same results if I don’t use it.

Still, the problem is that when accumulating the dimensions based on the height of the window, the distance from the top of the window to the ceiling and the distance from the bottom of the window to the floor do not total properly.

Your units conversions are just wrong - or at best, approximate. Certainly not accurate to three decimal places of feet.

193.5 in is not 16.25ft, but 16ft 1 1/2 inches, or 16.125 ft.

167 3/4 in is not 14ft, but 13ft 11 3/4 in or 13.9792 ft.

If you are working in Imperial units, why are you not using either Architectural (Feet, inches and fractions) or Fractional units (inches and fractions)?

What you have drawn is not what your text says - and as DaveR’s diagram shows.

The bottoms of your windows are 1’6 1/4" above the floor, 5’4 3/4" high, and another 1’1" to the ceiling - total, 8ft.

You want the windows 2ft = 24in above the floor. What height did you want the windows themselves then?

You sound unfamiliar with imperial units, if you were surprised that 20’ = 240".

Why is the corner of the room not at the origin?

I’m curious about how you are doing your math. If you’re using that same math to cut your lumber, you are going to have a whole lot of firewood.

You said in an earlier thread that you want your window as 58.25" height by 64.75" wide.

But the height you have drawn here is 5ft 4 3/4 in which is 64 3/4 inches.

No wonder the sill is too low - by exactly 6 inches, the difference between what you say you wanted, and how you drew it.

You would find it easier to see what you are doing if you:

• change from Parallel projection to Perspective view, using the Camera menu
  • delete the ceiling face, and work more conveniently looking down on the room from an angle.

And you really need to learn how to convert from inches to feet and vice versa, or else just use inches instead of feet and inches.

AHA - insight suddenly.

You have input the window size in the wrong order - and used the width for the height, and vice versa.

The Measurement box isn’t consistent in whether it puts width first or height first when drawing a rectangle - I think it depends which way your mouse moves when your sketch out the shape of the rectangle. If you move more in the X (red) direction than the Y (green) direction, then it will take the first input as the width, but if you move more up than across, will take the first input as the height instead.

See if that makes sense of what you have drawn. You may need to reverse the order of your inputs when specifying the size of the rectangle for the windows.

How were you able to determine that the corner of the room was not being used as the origin? It’s

I’m still trying to figure out the best template to use. My knowledge of SketchUP is limited, very limited. I’m completing one of the starting lessons chapter 3. I’m familiar with feet, inches and fractions. I have a habit of using fractions and decimals such as 1/4 or .25. I’m using a unit’s called fraction and inches.

When drawing interiors of a home I played to be convenient with the measurements in feet, inches and decimal. When I have a dimension that’s 6’ & 9" it’s a lot easier to look at it as 6’ and 9", rather than 81". And also 81" leaves room for potential dimensional, conversion errors.

Also in one of the lessons I had to use the apostrophe when using dimensions. Now it seems I do not need the apostrophe. Exactly what does the apostrophe do.

When drawing interiors of a home I played to be convenient with the measurements in feet, inches and decimal. When I have a dimension that’s 6’ & 9" it’s a lot easier to look at it as 6’ and 9", rather than 81". And also 81" leaves room for potential dimensional, conversion errors.

Because I can see the origin, the place where the red (X) axis, the green (Y) axis, and blue (Z) axis meet, and it isn’t at the corner of your room. It’s off to the left in the image above.[quote=“Amerifax, post:12, topic:48135”]
Also in one of the lessons I had to use the apostrophe when using dimensions.
[/quote]

The apostrophe is the symbol used to denote feet, and the double quote denotes inches.

If your units are inches, then you can just type a number (with or without a fraction, and with or without length symbols such as double quote or apostrophe) and SU will interpret it as inches.

But 6’9" or just 6’9 will be read as six feet plus nine inches, or 81 inches, as you say above.

I am doing a total redo on this lesson. I have found many other mistakes. Thank you for the help

The Measurement box isn’t consistent in whether it puts width first or height first when drawing a rectangle - I think it depends which way your mouse moves when your sketch out the shape of the rectangle.

Wow. That was my major problem. Thank you for straightening me out, life should be a lot better now.

The cure of another one of my major misunderstandings. Using the standard, USA, application of ’ & " I now was able to enter the following successfully.
1,24 = (1" 24")
1’,24 = (12",24")
Thanks much.
Bob

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.