Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you, who, who? Hi I’m Callum
What is your industry and profession? Leadlight Craftsman
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I like its ease of use and the wealth of support out there
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Definitely beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.3 Mac OS X Yosemite SketchupMake Version 15.2.686
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Sorry, no
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) are people who see UFO’s just really bad at identifying objects?
What is your favorite Emoji? winky face
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach… No, you get sand in your shoes or toes and when you sit to rest, you get sand in your… well, lets just say it’s too sandy.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? I’m Tony Harrington.
What is your industry and profession? Semi-retired marketing professional
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personal use
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Really like the software and use it to model various projects around the house. Currently working on a complete model of my house.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Intermediate I think.
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No - but would like to in the future.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.3 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Mac (iMac and Macbook Pro) using SketchUp Pro 2015.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet - am thinking of buying a 3D printer.
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) Just like the software
What is your favorite Emoji? Don’t have a favourite
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Prefer the golf course.

2 Likes

Who are you?
@josephkim626

What is your industry and profession?
Architectural Designer in Architecture

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Professionally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Its user-friendlynees, flexibility

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I can proudly say that I am advanced

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Yes! and it was great!

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
I do use both Mac and Windows, but mostly on Windows machine. And use SketchUp Pro 2015 on both

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
I do have a youtube channel with some tutorials done (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrcgWffS8hK1nE3U3V2v0rA), but haven’t developed much on 3DW. I do plan on uploading stuff, but my work ties with confidentialities

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I love sharing skills with people!
BTW, the “welcome” in different languages should have Korean in it.“환영합니다” will do. Its strange that it has Japanese twice!

What is your favorite Emoji?
I don’t think I have one, but I always find myself using —> :smiley: or :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
eh, I grew up in Miami, I don’t like getting my feet wet. But I sure do like going in the water!

2 Likes

Hi all
Brandnew B looking at a very inspirational tool and community that I admit I am sorry I didn’t stumble in to much sooner. Spent several years building/remodeling then rolled in to a graphics/printing career. Mostly familiar with Adobe 2D PH ILL . Feet wet in Cheetah but still stink. This is way more natural to me. Looking forward to learning from you all.
Sean

2 Likes

I am an amateur use and use mainly for small project design

2 Likes

Hi to everybody,
I’m a IT technician and I work by my self also like consultant.
Graphics and 3D modelling are just an hobby for me and hi will try to learn a new program in my free time.

2 Likes

Introduce myself? OK, here goes.

My name is Simon Evans. I live in the UK and I design buildings and alterations to them. I have over 30 years work experience and have been using CAD for most of those years. I am an experienced Autocad user but have been using SU for over 10 years, mainly as an adjunct for simple 3D work. In the past year, I have increasingly used SU as a replacement for AC, having discovered that others are doing the same very successfully.

What I like most about SU is its intuitiveness. I found it very easy to get started, though I have to say that as you get more ambitious, things can start to get very hard indeed (Dynamic Components…). I also like the simplicity, with a basic programming that feels light but with apps to tailor it to your way of working.

There is a down side to the app approach of course. Apps vary widely in how well they work and how easily they get updated when SU gets updated. But on the whole, I like it.

I use SU Pro 2015 on an iMac. It works well. I don’t produce very large files nor do I do a great deal of rendering, so file sizes are modest and speed is never an issue.

There are a few things I miss from AC (but not many!). I like prefer a standard mirror command to the SU options because it is something you do so often. I also like the variety of linetypes and colours you get in AC. And whilst Layout is quite like Paperspace, it is a bit of a pain to have to keep jumping from one application to another. I appreciate that LO allows you to reference different drawings and even filetypes very simply and I welcome that.

I can’t think you guys are really that interested in my private life but for the record I have been married for 35 years, my three kids have all flown the nest, and I am trying to work out what the hell I will do during what I hope will eventually be a nice long retirement! Not that imminent but you can’t help wondering…

That’s all, folks!

2 Likes

Who are you?
Bud R.
Retired. Gardener and Orchid grower
Where do you use SketchUp?
Personally
I am using Sketch up to complete a garden portfolio for a Master Gardener class.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Beginner and getting the hang of a few things.
No I am working in 2D for this project and to start the learning curve there.
What is your current set up? Computer type?
CPU: Intel Core2 duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 8.00 GB ram
GPU: GeForce GT 610 version 353.82
SketchUp version?
SketchUp Make Version 15.3.331 64-bit
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not at this time.

2 Likes

Hi my is Steve Zadach,
I am new to Sketchup. Well I’ve had it for a few years. But every time I would try to learn it I would become frustrated and
give up. I am finally starting to catch on maybe a little bit. Anyway, I am a residential designer and would love to produce the kind of documents that Sketchup and Layout produce. I also do custom woodwork. I have been in the building business for 30 years. I love to build and design. I have been designing custom homes on cad for 18 years. I just want to learn Sketchup and get better. I am definitely developing a passion for Sketchup. I am hoping to learn from all you Sages
out there. Looking forward to it.
I just want to thank ya’ll in advance Steve Zadach

2 Likes

Hi everyone
I’m Keshav. I’ve been using sketchup for a few days now. I like the ability of sketchup to transform my ideas into 3D designs. So far struggling a bit with my designs. Trying to design kitchen cabinets for my kitchen renovation project!

2 Likes

hi to all fantastic community

my name is Richard Makgoga , i’m 25 years in age ,i’m from South Africa.I need much help from you, i’m not a professional user , but good in in designing and drawing using this model for : bridges, roads, railway lines and trains, stadiums, statues, towers, dams, buildings: malls, houses, and even can plan a city . i do have many images for what i design and draw using this software ,so but dint how to upload to you

so please if anything to help with will be more than welcome. or even challenges.

thanks find me on 0722665061 or email me on tshiamorich@gmail.com

1 Like

Learning Sketchup to renovate a vacation rental property I managed called the Zen Treehouse in downtown Atlanta. Modeling the existing structure with photo match got me hooked. Love this inspired software and look forward to advancing and helping others.

Very cool to have and become a part of this community!

(As an aside, what is the awesome software that runs this forum site?)

3 Likes

Discourse!! Thanks, we love it too.

AlexB

1 Like

@SketchUpCommunityManager
I had no idea what you were on about until I clicked the link. Lol

2 Likes

That’s what I thought it might be. Wow has it come along recently!

/k

2 Likes

Howdy!

Who are you?
Jesse
I am in the construction industry primarily, working as a project manager for a manufacturer. I have also been a teacher, strategist, and analyst.
Where do you use SketchUp?
At work, and hopefully in new adventures!
I use SketchUp to make manufacturing plans and to communicate custom designs with customers. I love that when I make something in real space in SketchUp I can make unlimited details and sections of it to accurately communicate. Plus Layout makes the best looking plans I’ve seen anywhere.

I also use it to model for 3D Printing, and teaching my children 3D modeling. We are working through as many disciplines as we can get through, we’re in the middle of Architecture right now, then moving on to Interior design and then landscape.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Pretty sure I will always feel like a beginner.
Yes, 2014! Can’t wait for 2016!
What is your current set up? Computer type?
rMBP 15" Late 2013
SketchUp version?
Always the latest Pro version
Soon…

3 Likes

•Who are you, who, who?
My name is John Champion :smile:

•What is your industry and profession?
My industry and profession were in the Oil and Gas pipeline Nondestructive Testing field before the economic downturn…I’ve been out of work in my NDT field ( industrial radiography, sonography, etc.) since December 2014; I am working albeit minimum wage…

•Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I’m currently “learning to use” SU2015…tried Vectorworks, but I have grown to love the fact that SU seems to do everything I am WANTING to do and MUCH MUCH MORE!!!

•Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
My favorite thing about SU is the fact that you don’t have to have a “COLLEGE DEGREE” to use it, and with all the great folks I’ve met in the past day or so since I signed up here, I am really excited. I want to use it to design woodworking/furniture, homes, pools, whatever grabs my attention…

•How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I’m definitely a beginner, but the learning curve is navigable!

•Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
I haven’t gone to a 3DBasecamp, but I’ve seen them on YouTube and I love them!!!

•What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.12 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
I use Windows 8.1…I have SU Make 2015. My computer is an HP dv7 which seems to do what I need it to…

•Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
One step at a time fellas!! :smile:

•Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
“I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I sharpen up nicely with time and attention!”

•What is your favorite Emoji?
Smiley is a pretty good one!!

•Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Why? Are you asking me out???

2 Likes

hi all,
i am newbies here,
who am i?i’m rizuan and using this from last 5 years.
im work in manufacturing and still using this software.

2 Likes

HI My name is Brian and I have been using SketchUp since it was owned by Google. Am a retired enthusiast and only use it for garden design. Great lover of the programme. Proficiency is probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I have never been to the 3DBasecamp.

Am on Windows 10 and using Ver 2015 Pro.

MOst of time spend gardening

2 Likes

Hi I am Gilles Tarnus and I am 38 yo,
I live on Reunion Island in indean Ocean (French OverSea Administrative Area).
Since I discover Sketchup in mid 2008, I have never let it beside.
At that time I was a drafter and had (still have) good skill with Autocad, Solidworks, Pro-engineer and Catia.
I was working in Paris for famous companies from energy to aerospace.
Learning Sketchup when you come like me from parametric drawing is very very painfull.
You have to change all your habits.
Now drawing with Sketchup is a treat.
Today I m a engineer / cartographer for a small company very close to my house.
I have to learn scripting in Php, mySql and now Python for professional reasons.
So i have the idea to learn Ruby beside learning Python.
I have made my first plugin today and i found some informations on this forum to achieve it.
I also have good skill with 3D pdf, maybe i ll share them later in an appropriate topic.
I have some basic in JS and treejs : www.tarn.us
Thanks for reading

4 Likes