Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

I also missed this tool, until I found a plugin named mirror.rb, I map it (Ctl+m) , now it’s as easy as in AC.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
I’m Cheuk. from Hong Kong

What is your industry and profession?
I’m a UI/UX, exhibition designer

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Professionally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I’m a Mac user & I think SketchUp smart than 3D Max

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I am an intermediate user, I’ve used it for about 3 years.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
Macbook Pro 15" Retina with SketchUp Pro 2014

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I hope Chaos Group can improve Vary for SketchUp. It’s poor user interface & unstable. Also, I’m waiting a great render can replace Vary for SketchUp

What is your favorite Emoji?
:expressionless:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Sure

2 Likes

Hey there, my name is Lauren, and I’m from Texas!

I am a Pilates instructor, but I am trying to get into landscape architecture! I do have a bachelor’s in environmental science, but really want to create edible gardens and trails for schools, preferably elementary.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I use sketch up because i have recently volunteered for a school that wants me to design (backwards) with this program… having no previous skills, it’s honestly been a little hard for me to maneuver, but I am slowly getting the hang of it.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Total NOOB, literally have been using the trial version for 3 days, so please do not troll me… I actually do not know what i am doing so if you’re going to help, please be constructive without the harsh sarcasm, and no I have not attended 3D basecamp lol.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? I’m Kalil Sarraff !!!

What is your industry and profession? Architecture, Furniture, and Illustration.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? BOTH

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Well, I used to impress the babes of my class HAHAHA, but I use Sketchup because it’s so fun to use it, very intuitive, and at the same time I can create wonderful and very professional works.

Level: God. (Joke)
Advanced, but I want to master the Sketchup LayOut to the end.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope…

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.14 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) LoL, Mac User forever. Sketchup PRO 2015.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? My Instagram
https://instagram.com/sarraff_sarraff/

Anything else you would like to tell us?
Ok. hey AlexB, let’s have a tea one day.
Guys, I’m ashamed that I didn’t join this community before.
But I’m sure it will be a blast.
I’m From DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!! Visit me one day.

What is your favorite Emoji? :joy:

Almost each weekend I go to the beach.
Imagine…some margaritas, the sunset and a nice Sketchup conversation. LoL

Have a great day guys. It will be wonderful to be part of this amazing community!!

SARRAFF

2 Likes

Hello all
My name is Bob the Beeman, which says it all really. I am a one topic conversationalist, Australia’s native bees and especially the social stingless bees.
I have bee a beginner level user of Sketchup for several years, and am very fortunate to have a friend much more skilled than I. He can take a finger drawing from my phone and convert to a useable Sketchup drawing, which I take to my 3D printers
They are my interest, in prototyping designs for use in bee structures. It is a very narrow field of interest. No toys etc, although I am progressively printing a large T-rex for the sake of it, and the grand-kids.
One of these designs is approaching final patent stage.
It has lead me to post a question on the forum, and first I must introduce myself, so here I am.
Bob

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? I’m Bri!
What is your industry and profession? Landscape designer (working toward being a licensed landscape architect)
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Both! I’ve modeled all my apartments to help lay out furniture, and I use SketchUp at work to model designs on the reg.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Seeing things to scale in 3 dimensions helps me understand the bigger picture. I need the visualization to really warp my mind around everything.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I’d say Intermediate. I started using SketchUp when it first came out but didn’t keep up with how rapidly it grew. I’m still learning new things every day :smile:
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet, but there’s a budget request going in for the 2016 one…
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. PC running Windows 7 Professional, SketchUp Pro 2015 64-bit
What is your favorite Emoji? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and :beers:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? And long hikes in the mountains :wink:

Who are you? My name’s John
What is your profession? Architecture
Why do you use SketchUp? Right now, I don’t know. I am learning the basics to see if this software will be helpful to my design work.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner

1 Like

My name is Mark. I was an aviation professional for 40 years. Grew up building/rebuilding and flying experimental aircraft with my father.
Love working in my welding shop as a hobby. Sketchup is excellent for developing ideas and proposing those ideas to others. Using “Make” right now but will eventually buy the Pro version.
Not sure what my favorite thing is about Sketchup. It’s just plane fun. Oops, I meant plain. :grinning:
I’m somewhere between beginner and intermediate. Not even sure of that, since the more I use it, the more I realize how simple it can be with so many hidden complexities and techniques to be learned. I love the challenge. I use an Asus laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 9800 graphics. I plan on upgrading hardware but since it works so well, I’m taking my time.

P.S. It’s a marketing’s genius idea of offering Make for free. I got hooked on the program and will eventually buy the Pro.

1 Like
  • Who are you, who, who?
    Hello everyone, I’m Steve (DOH!)
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    I’m in the UK and I use SketchUp personnally for creating 3D things and home improvement projects
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Probably intermediate as I fist started using SU 2008
  • What is your current set up?
    I have a hobby workshop Win7 PC (legacy ex Vista machine Pentium dual coire) in my garage and Win8.1 PC AMD quad core in the study. I’m not allowed to melt plastic in the house so I have a PC next to the 3D printer in the garage… Neither are particularly powerful machines.
  • Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    Not at this time.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us?
    I wish SU could cope with small scale geometry a bit better.
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
    I prefer Coronation Street.
1 Like

I’m loving this forum! I stumbled onto Sketchup recently while trying to figure out what softward Joanna Gaines uses on the show Fixer Upper. Downloaded it and have had a blast with it. I play and teach music for a living but am also an electrician and plumber and will be getting into rental property soon. I like the idea of easily making a floor plan to show people who can help me with design and colors. Something I’m not too good with… Thanks a bunch for all your input I’m sure I’ll be asking for in the future!

John

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? > Just an ordinary person… :slight_smile:

What is your industry and profession? > Automotive service industry.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? > Just for fun.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? > I use sketchup to create things I can only visualize in my head.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner, maybe a little better.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. Sketchup 2014 on an old laptop using on-board graphics.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? My name is Marissa Couch

What is your industry and profession? Spouse - Disabled Vet Caretaker

Where do you use SketchUp? In my home.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use SketchUp because I have Ideas for a tiny home I’d like to build when I buy a piece of property.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Extreme Newbie I just downloaded for the first time ever yesterday.

What is your current set up? Widows 10 Gateway Laptop/ SketchUp Make

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No I do not…I’m still too new.

Anything else you would like to tell us? I am in need of Tiny house Items such as loft ladders or bookcase stairs, composting toilet and on demand water heater is there an expansion pack I could get for that?

What is your favorite Emoji? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Definitely I live on the California coastline.

1 Like

Hello, I am Mauricio
I am trying to design some furniture for my self and I have some troubles with my “Componentes”

1 Like

Who are you?
Steve-B

I am a structural design drafter.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Currently just learning my way around.

Strictly beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
No

I haven’t been on a beach since I was about 10 years old. My wife and I enjoy the mountains - and flea markets.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? I’m Paul Lee (Also known to some as Le Corb…

What is your industry and profession? Je suis Architecte… Where do you use SketchUp? Everything from 3DP to marketing videos to building office blocks, like this one… Personally/professionally? Professionally. Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) I like it because it is the most direct way to express ideas in 3D and convert them into constructable information. Favourite thing: You can convince people you spent a week on something that took an hour to do… : D

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Advanced. I even wrote two books: http://www.amazon.ca/Construction-Documents-Using-Sketchup-Layout/dp/1480099015?tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20

and “Rapid Modelling for Minecraft”

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Yes, 2010, 12 & 14

What is your current set up? MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) 2 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Le Corb | 3D Warehouse

Anything else you would like to tell us? I modelled and printed my home city:

I used the model to do a video of an alien invasion: - YouTube

What is your favorite Emoji?

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? When I’m not sailing in the Mediterranean, sure.

1 Like

Evening global SketchUppers…
I’m Jo, and I am a real novice. My partner and I have a business making wonderful wooden wagons, cabins and lodges in deepest Devon, UK. New wagon 2016 income.pdf (2.3 MB)This is a taste of our work and how we use the program. My partner does the design and drawing side of the work ( and all the carpentry ) and I deal with it in Layout. We are both self-taught and would like to learn more so we can get the most out of the program. I’m looking forward to tapping into knowledge through you lovely lot! And I have questions, which i’ll get to later… Cheers, Jo

1 Like

Hi, I’m Juleswf. Been using SketchUp since 2009, started teaching SketchUp at Community College in 2010. I love that it’s easy to use and free!
My background is engineering and I did lots of 3D modeling at Boeing in the past. I now work in the solar industry, and use SketchUp Pro to draw houses, roofs and design solar PV systems.
I joined this forum some time ago, but haven’t been back much. I am going to try and hang around here more, to keep learning new stuff about SketchUp ,and to try and help others. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Debbie Thomson - Architect - NW Tasmania - V Old.
I use SketchUp Pro 15 at work and home for quick studies and documentation of small projects.
At work is it a supplementary program as the guys use Revit for documentation. I find Revit cumbersome.
At home I use SketchUp for everything from design and documentation of my own house extension, quick master-planning to assist local groups in grant applications to designing and exporting files for yacht club trophies etc.
LOVE IT most of the time but Layout still has some issues.
WHAT future updates of SketchUp to include:

• The ability to draw with linetypes and coloured lines in 3D.
  • The ability to add luminosity and shine to materials.

Cheers
DebT

1 Like

Phillip Hawley - Insurance Agent - Houston, Texas - Semi-retired

Hi I’m Phillip. I started toying with SketchUp a few years ago (the free version - we are on a tight budget), but only started learning it in earnest this last year (and I still have a long way to go). My wife and I try and do what little we can for the local homeless population and the good folks at Trimble granted me a non-profit license for SU 2015 Pro last January.

I reclaim junk and try to turn it into useful projects. Sketchup has proven to be invaluable to the design process. I started with a variation of Homeless Emergency Shelter

…and went on to model many other projects, each a little more complex. Here is my current one, a micro-miniature/pop-top/small house/bicycle trailer made from discarded aluminum ladders, plywood and Coroplast:

I love SketchUp. Besides being so intuitive, it’s really a lot of fun. Just wish I was faster (and better :wink:) at it.

3 Likes

Hi. New to the forum. Trying to decide on SketchUp Pro from Google SketchUp. Got questions about hardware requirements, but of course they are not appropriate here. Love the apparent enthusiasm of users and have loved using SU so far.

1 Like