Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Eu me chamo Ricardo Ferreira, e estou iniciado no SketchUp, pois os meus Trabalhos era no Auto Cad e estou muito satisfeito com o sketchUp, ainda falta muito mas com a vossa ajuda quem sabe! Fecarei muito feliz se a comunidade me asseitar como membro dela tá. Agrateço pela Atencão.tchau.

My name is Ricardo Ferreira, and I started in SketchUp because my work was in Auto Cad and I am very satisfied with SketchUp, still a long way but with your help who knows! Fecarei very happy if the community asseitar me as a member of it okay . Agrateço by Atencão.tchau .

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
My name is Philip, I’m 51 and live in the UK.
What is your industry and profession?
Construction
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Both. I use SketchUp Make 2015 and, professionally, I’ve most recently used it to make sense of some poor 2D CAD that made estimating the substructures of a project nigh on impossible. It also allows me to view clashes and recognise what elements are not defined on drawings. Personally, I make models of UK materials that seem absent from 3D Warehouse. I really need SketchUp Pro to make them dynamic.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Make is quick. Pro would make the whole visualisation process quicker.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I would say I’m still a beginner. My gain is that I’ve spent 33 years in the construction industry so have a good knowledge of materials when I need to visualise them
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No. The first one in London is this month (Sep 2105) but I start a new job the same week so I cannot attend.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
I use Make 2015 on a MacBook Pro 2011 Retina with an SSD. I use a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator to move around the model.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Not yet.
Anything else you would like to tell us?
Pro needs to be on a subscription like Photoshop, AutoCAD etc.
What is your favorite Emoji?
Live long and prosper.
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
No.

2 Likes

I’m Crickity!
I work as a lighting designer for stage shows.
I use SketchUp personally, and I really like the simplicity. It’s designed to be used by beginners, not by people who have already been using it for years. Other programs aggregate functionality as they go, getting steadily more complex. Not so with SketchUp.

I’m on the intermediate edge of beginner I guess? I’ve used a bunch of modelling software, including Anim8or, that treasured relic of the internet, but never trained in it. I do alright.

I’ll be straight with you, I’m building rayguns. I churn stuff out on my makerbot pretty regularly, but this is my first big 3D project. I’m kind of a mad scientist. Maybe.

Shhh.

2 Likes

Hello. Just downloaded Make a few days ago. Still have the Pro trial, but I’m not going to buy it. Working on a couple of house plans in a different program and needed some items that it didn’t include. Nothing in 3D warehouse was just right so I need to modify. Or may learn to build from scratch.
Not really the creative type, just fooling around.
Graphics is whatever came with this 2nd hand laptop, probably just on-board.
Win 7/64

2 Likes

Thank you, I am Pat from Arizona-USA…have no idea about this program got the free one and plan on trying it for organizing and laying out my shop…or many other plans. Need to build a chicken coop! Yep I love tools and this is one I really intend to look to using. I am a retired RN and now chief chicken keeper and horse ■■■■ pickerupper! Well that’s me will see if my questions are valid for this forum!

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who?
Im Miguel Aparicio Founder at Proyecta Smart

What is your industry and profession?
i am an industrial engineer and mechanical/construction drafst man

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
i ve discovered sketchup a half year ago and i would like to develop some app

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
easy to use and intuitive, fast solutions

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
at the moment intermediate

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
what is that??

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
skp 8

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
www.proyectasmart.cl

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
i want to develop an app to make engineering plans, construction and power/electrical apps link it to a database and so on.

What is your favorite Emoji?
xD xD

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

2 Likes

Hi. I sm known as Pedro and live in Spain. I am a photographer with an amateur passion for designing m y home. I expect to move to Paraguay next year where my wife hsas a plot. We are going to build on this plot using shipping containers. This is my primary interest in Sketchup. I have started and done several designs but I am very slow and make mistakes. Hope you wont mind me asking many questions. Ciao (Currently have problem in that my measurement box does not work - doing something wrong surely)

2 Likes

Ok.
Name: Spogadog. I run my own Podiatry clinic here in the U.K.
I am also a semi-pro cartoonist, currently working on a bid for an animation.
I am 54 yrs of age, did not ‘do’ computers at school and have little interest in most things digital.
‘Smart’ phones I-pods; eye pads; (eye-patches?) all bore me to distraction; I’d rather be listening to some good old 70’s funk!
Saying that, I find SU to be a fantastic ‘enabling tool’ when it comes to setting out & composing scenes which can then be drawn by hand in the traditional fashion.
This forum has been of immense help to me in the past, although I have found the ‘contributions’ from some folk amusingly abrupt.
S/U ability wise? I’m a total spud. I have the attention span and patience of a goldfish when it comes to PCs, but I greatly appreciate the advice given here and do have a pop at things where and when time permits in my busy clinical schedule.
Here’s the PC spec’ (I have bggr all idea what any of this means, BTW!):
AMD A10 -7800 Radeon R7,12. Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.50 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB
System type: 64 bit Operating system, X 64 based processor
Windows 8.1

…By all accounts this is ‘pretty sexy’??..
…Can’t make coffee with it though.

Walk the beach round here and you’d be dragged into the dunes never to be seen again!

Emoji??

2 Likes

Do you have Java installed? Then you could make coffee too.

1 Like

Yeah, but it would ‘Costa’ fortune…

( :0 I ))

2 Likes

hi, I’m henry, Indonesian living in Jakarta, a beginner in sketchup,my knowledge about computers is minimal. i used to work in the furniture retail and i wanted to learn sketchup so that i’d be able to give a 3D interior decorating presentation to future clients. i like sketchup because it is less complicated than 3D Max, i was planning to take a course in 3D Max but my tutor recommended sketchup instead , and i’m glad he did, it sure made my life easier. It’s been a while since i took that basic course in sketchup and i want to start using sketchup more ,but oftentimes i get stuck in the middle. so I’m glad to have found this forum where i hope i can learn more about using sketchup. my operating system is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 4 GB, i used sketchup pro 8 , tried sketchup 2015 but i can’t open my files ( takes forever to load a file , i dunno why ) , so i reverted back to sketchup pro 8 now. . this is my first time in a forum, i hope i’m replying in the right place, please pardon me if i made a mistake, thanks

4 Likes

My Name is Ed
I’m a part time Roman Architectural Student (via Coursera)
My interest in Sketchup is primarily making simple models of a few of the building we are studying
I use SU primarily at home, after work to assist with my studies
So far my favourite thing about SU is that it’s so easy to use and the results are excellent, especially given it’s a free download.
I’m currently running a 15" MacBook Pro(2009) with OS 10.10.2 (Yosemite). 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Graphic/Vid card.

2 Likes

Dick Dunbar here … sometimes sites tell me to “clean up my language”, so I also go by Richard. :heart_eyes:
Recently retired Silocon Valley Performance Engineer with experience in a LOT ( too much ) software.

Learned something new in this thread … that SketchUp was purchased by Google ( Google Sketch? )

I can see a LOT of use cases for SU in my future, but to get started I have a simple problem:
A Site Plan for a building permit, starting from the Assessor’s Map in Placer County, CA.

I cannot seem to draw an irregular 4-sided polygon with precise measurements and North orientation.
Each time I use the Tape tool to add a measurement, the lines are distorted.

Can someone point me to some examples? I’ll likely complete this site plan with a 3D model of
the building using photos. Actively trying to learn … there’s a lot to learn.

Thanks … I’ll update this item later with a mug shot.

1 Like

SketchUp was bought by Google, and kept its name. Then Google sold it to Trimble. It still has its name!

You might want to copy the question part into a new topic, instead of it being buried here in the Welcome to our forums area.

1 Like

Hi I’m Burt, just downloaded SU so beginner to say the least, haven’t been to SU camp (some sort of link within this thread?)
Running SU2015 on my old PB laptop, with W’s7. Interested mainly in making floorplans for a Photographer friend, at the moment my favourite thing is the 30 day free trial (at least i’m honest!). Dont do Emoji’s, do do walks on the beach, pina colada and getting caught in the rain! (and giggles for writing do do)

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? Fabio Fonseca
What is your industry and profession? Civil Engineering / Architecture / Teaching
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally / professionally / recreationally :stuck_out_tongue:
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Its very productive and fast. Allows me to develop an idea in a few clicks
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Advanced
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? not yet…
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. Windows PC w/ win10, dual SLI video card with 2GB each, 32GB ram, two 3TB Hd, 512GB SSD, 2 23’ monitors and one 32’ for presentations
Anything else you would like to tell us? I have OCD symptoms, usually involving wandering around and mentally decompose random objects in their geometric primitives in order to model it later in sketchup :smiley:
What is your favorite Emoji? :smile:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Sure!!!

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? name is tholath
What is your industry and profession? Freelance design of mechanical parts mainly used in electronics
Where do you use SketchUp? Just started using it - learning stage as of now. Using Designspark mechanical presently.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) The urge of knowing the unknown :smile:
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) HP i7 16GB SketchUp 2015
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) Designed many mechanical parts used in Elevator control panels, Touch screen products
What is your favorite Emoji? :grinning:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Partly/ and resting with sipping something for the spiritual enlightment :wink:

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites )
What is your industry and profession? museum preparator and erstwhile exhibition designer.
Where do you use SketchUp? In the office
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? fast and fun! for exhibition design but I’m just starting out with it.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No.
What is your current set up? windows 7 professional 64 bit, sketchup 2015

My name is mark, I am the preparator at a well known museum dedicated to the art of the picture book (hint–it’s in New England.) I am “teaching myself” sketchup to make exhibition design a bit easier. or alot. we’ll see!

see you all around!

ff

2 Likes

[quote=“AlexB, post:3, topic:6944”]
What is your industry and profession?I am a civil engineer
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Not yet used. Will start using it soon.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? still to use
My favorite thing about SketchUp is that it supports and encourages my inner artist, builder, designer, kid, and maker by being a easy to use program with so much functionality.**
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? not yet started

Anything else you would like to tell us? will Trimble allow Google sketch up to grow ?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? YES! India Goa beaches…

2 Likes

Hey! My name is AJ and I fit into a catagory that still has 1 foot in the egg shell. Still in the beginners phase. Have lots of questions and will be asking them as I progress.

2 Likes