How to present woodworking plans in layout?

Hi all, I am very new to Layout. I am trying to create a Woodworking Plans by using Sketchup and Layout, but so far i could not find any proper instruction. I have a query: whether its possible to just use Layout only to create such plan? If it is impossible, which softwares or tools needed? If somebody know please help. Any video links would be very helpful…
Here is the file I found in sketchupdate
Many thanks.

1 Like

First off, yes you can do what you want and is effectively what architects do all the time.

I wouldn’t try using Layout to do it. Layout is really only a means of presentation.

The first thing you have to do is draw a model. Built into Sketchup are standard views (front, side, plan, etc). You would normally set up a scene for each and these can then be used as viewports in Layout. You can also produce sections to help explain construction. Again, set up scenes for each.

There are lots of really good videos on Youtube of how to do these various things. Too many to list here.

As Simon says, it is indeed possible to do woodworking plans in SketchUp and LayOut. That’s my primary use for them. The drawings you show in that image were made in SketchUp. The model was used to create the artwork for the drawings in the article and also for the full blown plans available in their store. I used a custom sketchy line style and hand drawn materials on the model. The colored drawings had a bit of post processing to add the shadows.

For the furniture plans I do, I only use SketchUp and LayOut. Well, I add materials lists and use LibreOffice for part of the creation of those lists.

1 Like

In this case, the material will be assigned in sketchup but it looks inconsistent?. As you said, assembly instructions are created using many different science in the layout? I think it will be difficult to manage for a reasonable scale. You can clarify your ideas help me

Hi DaveR!
Thanks for answering!
I still unknown effects setting (shadows, transparent part, or texture) to give more vivid document will be made in layouts or other software. Like pictures I found. Please help me clarify it.

It sounds to me as if you need to learn how to use SketchUp first. Transparent materials can be applied in SketchUp as can wood grain materials. In the case of the illustrations for that article, the materials and edges were hand drawn to match the style of artwork which is has been a trademark of Fine Woodworking Magazine since it started in the late 70s. That’s not really a plan. Just some illustrations for the article about building the piece.
I usually don’t apply materials for the plans I create because the client prefers line work only. That is much easier to do.

The shadows shown there were done in post processing in an image editor because SketchUp doesn’t do soft shadows.

A forum is the wrong venue to learn everything you need to know about creating illustrations like those. First become proficient with SketchUp and LayOut and then put it all together.

2 Likes

I already know what you want to say. That’s not really a plan. It is suitable for presentations and teaching wood joints. Thanks a lot. I will learn how to use them better

Those illustrations you show were not intended to be considered a plan. They are to illustrate an article. They show the general assembly of the piece. Advanced woodworkers would be able to build the piece of furniture from those illustrations but I also made detailed plans from the SketchUp model used for those illustrations.

Learn to walk before you try to fly.

DaveR, Thank you again for trying to help me!
If something is not clear, I will ask you later

That illustration would make great Gallery stuff.Very good, Dave.

Anssi

Thank you, Anssi. I appreciate that.

I use the free version of sketchup for my woodworking drawings and I do use the paintbucket tool to create a wood surface so my wife can better see what I am going to build. Then I start into the detailed drawings that a woodworker needs to actually build the project. That is, frames with dimensions and joints an centerlines and often blowups that show how the pieces of the frame will come together. This way I make my mistakes on my computer screen rather than costly oak or walnut. This also enables me to see how some idea of how I want it to look is just too difficult for my level of woodworking with the tools that I have. I also use the component feature to bring into blowups the various pieces making up a larger piece. That said, it is definitely not a perfect tool. I would love to see the ability to store a file name on a drawing so I would know exactly what version of a sketch I am looking at after it is printed. I also get frustrated with its limitations, but then I have to remember, it is FREE. Good luck, vern

That’s easily done with the Text tool.

You can use the text callout tool (the one whose icon is a rectangle with “A1” in it and an arrow leader) to place text on the view screen. Just click in space where you want to put the text, just don’t click on any part of the model.

Speedy Dave replied while I was typing!

yah-bbut, this is not like the ability to put a
file name in the footer of a Word document and
have it update automatically whenever you store
the document under a different name. I know I
can manually store a file name on a page, but
unfortunately, my fingers don’t keep track of
changes as well as my computer does.

At 03:09 PM 5/24/2016, you wrote:

http://forums.sketchup.com/users/slbaumgartnerslbaumgartner SketchUp Sage
May 24

vernonls:

I would love to see the ability to store a file
name on a drawing so I would know exactly what
version of a sketch I am looking at after it is printed

You can use the text callout tool (the one whose
icon is a rectangle with “A1” in it and an arrow
leader) to place text on the view screen. Just
click in space where you want to put the text,
just don’t click on any part of the model.

Speedy Dave replied while I was typing!

http://forums.sketchup.com/t/how-to-present-woodworking-plans-in-layout/25447/14Visit
Topic or reply to this email to respond

In Reply To

http://forums.sketchup.com/users/vernonlsvernonls
May 24
I use the free version of sketchup for my
woodworking drawings and I do use the
paintbucket tool to create a wood surface so my
wife can better see what I am going to build.
Then I start into the detailed drawings that a
woodworker needs to actually build the project.
That is, frames with dimension…>

http://forums.sketchup.com/t/how-to-present-woodworking-plans-in-layout/25447/14Visit
Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this
particular topic,
http://forums.sketchup.com/t/how-to-present-woodworking-plans-in-layout/25447/unsubscribeclick
here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change
your http://forums.sketchup.com/my/preferencesuser preferences

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost

yah-butts live in the woods. :smiley:

I guess that’s one of the benefits of LayOut. :wink: