Wishlist Item: Please rename "Layers" and call it "Visibility"

Haha, @DanRathbun, that is wonderfully creepy. We wore those in Alaska, but they were called “Ski masks.”

Back to Layers, though: I retract my idea of multiple tags. I like only having one hiding attribute per group/component/object. After all, you can always nest things to have them be affected by multiple “layers.”

After talking to someone who makes SU extensions, now I know that SketchUp’s Layers (SLayers?) are indeed attributes of objects, just like material. No one says that they are putting an object “on” a material. They are assigning the color to the object. Same with SLayers. (Yes, hmmm… I like that word… it fits the effect they can have on newbies’ models). In Entity Info, what’s happening is we are assigning a SLayer to the object.

I’m on the fence as to whether it’s worth the trouble of reframing and renaming the action, though. After all, we still say that the “sun is setting,” when really, our position on earth is rotating away from facing the sun. We know the facts about sunsets, but it’s just cumbersome to say “what a beautiful obscuring of the sun due to the movement of the earth”. Not very romantic. Similarly, it might be enough to simply better educate the SketchUp newbies about SLayers, rather than formally renaming it. I don’t know, though. Haven’t figured this out.

1 Like

The word is fine - short and descriptive.

The concept maybe new and different for many people. The passage of time - which corresponds nicely with the time invested in gaining experience in any new endeavor - takes care of that part.

May I throw in an alternative:
Scope
This has similar meaning and spelling in many European languages, and relates well to layers/visibility etc…

The extent of view, outlook, application, operation, effectiveness

Another similar word could be ‘Purview’ - but that is perhaps very olde UK English, from old-French ?
Similarly ‘Range’ could also work ?

Perhaps ‘Visibility’ is still favorite, in terms of doing what it says on the tin…