What Will SketchUp Make Import?

Can the animations go into TwinMotion? That’s the kind of thing you take a SU model into TM for.

I’m sorry, I can’t really compare MakeHuman to Poser. But as it happens, I just yesterday decided to take a closer look at Poser. I have used Daz, which seems comparable to Poser.

MakeHuman is just for creating characters, and I believe Poser does much more, such as animate. MakeHuman is free, Poser costs $200 I think. Daz is like Poser but free, well, the software is free, the characters can cost you plenty.

You can animate a MakeHuman character pretty easily by bringing it in to Mixamo. This is limited to pre-made animations. You can also animate MakeHuman characters in a much more customized way in Blender, which I’ve not yet done.

You can kind of animate MakeHuman characters in a video editor such as Hitfilm (they have a free version). That is, you can move the entire character around the scene, rotate and scale it, add lights and shadows, but you can’t animate arms and legs etc.

Finally, you can make a MakeHuman character talk by layering an animated face on top of the character in a video editor. You can animate the face and add sound in CrazyTalk, which is very reasonably priced at $50 I think, or $30 on sale, something like that. This method layers an animated 2D image (with sound) on to the face of a 3D character, which works so long as the character is directly facing the camera. Here’s a quick video I did a few years ago illustrating that procedure.

If I could bring animated talking characters in to SketchUp I could probably leave my video editor behind and work entirely in one software, but I’m guessing this isn’t in the cards.

I had Poser a long time ago (like pre-OSX!), and hadn’t thought about it in a while, but I just saw a notice of it being on sale for $80. If you’re on MacOSX, how are you running MakeHuman?

Sorry, your mention is the first I’ve heard of TwinMotion. I’m pretty new to 3D. For other newbies to TwinMotion, they have a pretty impressive video intro here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiVeP6muWbw#:~:text=Twinmotion%20is%20a%20real-time,the%20power%20of%20Unreal%20Engine.

A quick Google search found this:

The MSRP for Twinmotion is $499 USD for a perpetual license; prices may vary by region and may include applicable taxes. For a limited time, Epic is offering a 50% discount, and including free upgrades to all releases until December 31, 2021.

Unreal Engine is free, and TwinMotion is a paid add-on??

Hey, thanks for the Poser sale tip! That’s the kind of money I’m used to spending.

MakeHuman is available for Windows and Mac. Not sure about Linux.

They have a forum here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/

A quick search and I found a comment that the last Mac version was 1.1 something and the current one is 1.2 something, so it seems not too out of date.

TwinMotion started out for free in beta last, year, but now that it’s released, I guess they started charging for it. There are other people here that are more up on it than I am.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.