What were your first few computers?

My first computer was an Tandy 8088 and then and 8086 (finally at 16 bit).
I wonder how many users actually ran an 80186 - that isn’t a misprint. Then 80286 and the list goes on.

Languages? Everything from assembler all the way up. I wonder how may users actually programmed with GWBasic? The list goes on.

Today - C++, Ruby, PHP, java, jquery, javascript etc.

First computer was a PDP mainframe with Western Union teletype machine for I/O using BASIC for programming. Then used same mainframe with Statistical Package for the Social Sciences with IBM punch cards. All of this was in the mid 1970s. First PC was a Xerox running CP/M and two floppy disk drives and no hard drive in the early 1980s. Word processor was called MultiMate. From there it was a 286 DOS machine and pretty much every iteration thereafter. Ah, the memories!

I recently came across the first “official” program I wrote in 1969. It’s in Dartmouth BASIC and ran on a Xerox Sigma 7 computer which was accessed over the phone line at 110 Baud using a Teletype ASR 33 terminal. The formatting is a bit erratic due to skips and overwrites because the terminal needed a tune-up at the time.

2 Likes

Please put code behind ‘’’ three backticks :smile:

1 Like

Ericson portable pc…

It had a built in thermal printer…

2 Likes

Everybody wanted to produce their computer at the time. Ericson’s competitor Nokia also hade a line of computers that were almost Microsoft compatible…

I started drawing on ClarisWorks which was to become AppleWorks on the apple ll platform. I remember being king of the world when I got an SE/30 with TWO floppy drives!

My first computer was a hand-me-down Epson, replete with amber CRT monitor.
I don’t recall the model, but it looked something like this one…

Epson Apex PC

Amber CRT

In early 1997, the Epson was replace by a brand new IBM Aptiva running Win95
200 MHz AMD CPU
2 GB HDD
64 MB RAM

The CPU fan was no larger than a US fifty-cent piece, ~1-1/4" dia.

IBM Aptiva Win 95

Hey! I bought a Digital Rainbow also (I saw one mentioned above)! I worked for DEC at the time, got an employees discount, around 1981. Really bought for a friend, I didn’t get my own computer until around 1985, a 286 with 256k memory, I think, and a floppy drive! I think it might have even had a 10M hard drive (I barely recall)! Whew, hot stuff!

Hah! I’m replying to my own earlier post! I’m an idiot! I didn’t bother looking closer when I saw it in passing! Ok, so no other rainbows out there.

Not really counting the Atari 2600 game console my family had when I was in in high school …

First real computer used was a teletype terminal (circa 1976) connected via phone modem to a S.U.N.Y. mainframe (I think at Brockport campus if memory serves.) We (my brother and I) stayed after school and he showed me how to play a text mode Star Trek game.

It looked similar to this image (but had a couple of rubber cups on the right to hold a standard telephone handset) …

At work around 1982 I used a kit built Cromemco Z-2 series rack mount CP/M computer with two 8-inch floppy drives and a Hazeltine 1420 terminal running my employer’s custom MRP program under MBASIC-80. I dabbled a little in BASIC on this computer.

After leaving that job soon after (~ 1983) I brought a Timex Sinclair TS1000 to learn BASIC programming. Picked it up quickly, but as I was renting a room 1 block from a powerful country music radio station, every time I tried to save my programs onto cassette, the cord between the computer and tape deck would pick up the broadcast and record music instead. (I remember taking it apart just to see how it worked. Don’t remember what happened to it.)

Soon after, about 84, I traded a full size drafting table with a K&E Paragon drafting machine for a Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer I. It used a television for it’s display. Had fun learning more BASIC and playing some cartridge games. (Another one I don’t remember what I did with. Likely gave it away.)

Around 1986, at work I began learning AutoCAD 2.x on an XT clone my employer bought.

EDIT (add): Forgot, that at this employer I also spent many hours for the last 6 months I was there … entering parts lists for all the company’s electronic products on a IBM System 36 mini running IBM’s MAPICS II software (now apparently called “Infor XA”.)

Also at this time (85/86) I bought (for myself) a 8080 based Tandy 1000 word processing system that came with a Daisy Wheel printer for 2000 dollars. Became proficient in GW-BASIC and Turbo Pascal on this machine.
This package also came with a ACAD 9 clone (LogiCAD) and LogiTech mouse.

Pictured is the EX edition. I had the full desktop with the dual 5.25" floppies and max memory at 640KB. (Later I bought a Magnavox CGA monitor for it, as the composite green monochrome monitor was just too plain.)

Sold the Tandy to my sister around 92, and bought or built a true PC compatible. I don’t remember exactly what it was. Probably a 386SX based clone.

I ran AutoCAD 10 on several PC clones around this time and became proficient with it. At this time, users needed to load specific drivers for graphics programs (like AutoCAD) from their graphics interface OEMs. (The good old days! :roll_eyes:)

Also in the early 90s I attended what is now Eastern Florida State for Math and Computer Programming, and took quite a few programming courses using DEC VAX mini computers and terminals. My only work with DCL and COBOL. Ever since, I always wanted to get a t-shirt made that said “COBOL SUCKS”. :wink:
(They’ve since retired these and now all coursework is done on networked PCs running MS Windows.)

In 95, I had a 486DX-66 clone built for me that I used for CAD work and ran AutoCAD 12 and later v13 under Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. (Still have all the parts to this in the closet, and the case is sitting on the shelf 3 feet from me.)

After that it is a dizzying succession of Pentium I, II, and III clones and surplus Celeron or Athalon computers I built, modified or updated for myself, family and friends.

The last clone I built was an AMD Athalon machine using a MSI K7N2 motherboard running 32-bit Windows XP. This is the machine I first used SketchUp on circa v6 or 7 around 2007/8. The CPU eventually overheated and will no longer boot.

I switched to off the shelf notebooks running Windows 7 or later, 64bit machines and likely will never build up a desktop again as I no longer do gaming or much simulation.

image image

The notebook form factor is nice as it can easily be taken along with me, and it has less cables to deal with, or at least plugging things in is easier to deal with. (No more climbing under the desk to play dusty pluggy plug.)

Should be quite rare as they were meant for embedded systems. Most who did likely used a Tandy 2000.

1 Like

Technically, I guess my HP55 calculator in 1975 might count as it was programmable with 49 steps of memory that you lost when you turned it off. The only way to save your program was to write them down on paper.

Also at that time, I took a class in FORTRAN which we wrote on punch cards and ran on the school’s DEC10 (IIRC). I remember throwing the last deck of cards in the trash at the end of the course saying I’d never use a computer again!

First personal computer was a 512k (“Fat”) Mac in 1985. It later got upgraded to a Mac Plus and my first hard drive, a 20 MB MICAH drive was internally mounted potentially voiding Apple’s warrantee.

From '85 to '89 I tried out every Mac CAD program I could get my hands on. I trained to be a trainer for Architrion, but gave up on it by '90. In '89 I zeroed in on PowerDraw, and in 1990 produced my first 100% CAD drawing set for a project. This year will mark my 30th anniversary of working with the program (now called PowerCADD) as my primary 2D drafting tool.

Me too! I had a 41CV, which still runs, and I programmed it to do feet and inches. I used it for that a lot in the '80’s while manual drafting.

I have an HP 42S (1987) and an HP 48G (1990). These are newer than the HP 55 but still note worthy.

I actually won both of them in Math and Programming contests!

Windows 95 around 1998. It was super cool to use Internet for the first time, but it eventually crashed and I’ve used Macs ever since and never had a serious problem.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. We miss you everyday. Thank you for blessing the world with such perfect computers.

Which is probably the main reason why the computerindustry evolved so quickly in the US😂

We had a HP72bravo to calculate the elevations for the barrels of the M109 howitzers, sitting in a YPR

1 Like

I picture Mike, sitting in front of the muzzle of the howitzer, sweat pouring off his brow, furiously pounding the enter key on his HP72, … screaming “Elevate, … elevate!” :rofl:

2 Likes

My first computer was ПЭВМ «Байт» from Berlarus (CCCP) :wink:

This computer will be good for today’s insurance advicers. They always want to print something :wink:

1 Like

My 1st computer: ZX Spectrum (1986) - I still have this in storage
My 2nd computer: Pentium 75 (1994)
My 3rd computer: Pentium 350? (IIRC, the cartridge slot CPU type) with an ATI graphics card (1999)
My 4th computer: I don’t recall the specifics (2003)
My 5th computer: I don’t recall the specifics (2007)
My 6th computer: Core i7 (1st gen) 930, 12GB RAM, nVidia 8800 GTX (2009)
My 7th computer: Asus TaiChi notebook, together with the 6th computer for workstation (2012)
My 8th computer: Lenovo Y5070 notebook with GTX860m graphics (2015)
My 9th computer: OriginPC EON17-X notebook with GTX1080 graphics (Nov. 2017 to current)

1 Like

I had a CARDIAC in 1971 when I was all of 10 years old. Does that count?

I distinctly remember learning bootstrapping. In memory location 00 was the hard coded (aka printed in ink) value “001” 1st Digit ZERO = “Load next value into location designated by 2nd and 3rd digits.”

1 Like