What’s up with SketchUp Make?

I stand corrected. There are actually two other threads which are longer (!) and I haven’t been paying very close attention. Shame on me.

1 Like

If 635 people forgive you it is fine :smiley: !

Did you find one that was 1000 posts ‘on topic’?

1 Like

1048 posts as of 12 days ago:

I would say mostly on topic but the discussion can be rather broad since the subject matter itself is quite diverse and can become very detailed and complicated.

1 Like

I just want to say as I reread my postings they could sound snarky and I’m sorry if it does. Getting frustrated as SU is a tool that I go to for simple woodworking designs that I make for myself in my Garage. It saves me a lot of time and wood. Have a great New Year everyone and thanks for all the suggestions and help!

5 Likes

It’s cool. It can be maddeningly frustrating when software does not behave as we expect. All of us have beat our head against the keyboard at one time or another. All the questions that have been asked are not trying to question your ability. Just trying to better understand what you are seeing and to get the details as it does not sound like a normal experience. I am able to run sketchup free on my Mac in safari with my trackpad, I prefer a three button mouse as the program was really built for it, but the trackpad works fine. So that leaves me and others wondering if there is some specific reason your experience is not the same. I wonder if this is a Catalina thing.

2 Likes

I am using a trackpad in Safari, on Catalina, and think I haven’t seen these issues.

Someone mentioned “no problems with your models”, has onecarwood posted a model I should try? Is there mention of what action to do, and what goes wrong?

I have posted links to models in the Warehouse. Look up a few posts.The trackpad issue is better. The zoom was crazy. No I didn’t adjust the speed of the trackpad or anything. I came back a couple months later and things are better. The icons not switching when using shortcuts is still happening although not as much.
Maybe I’m just getting used to it or want it to be better? IDK
but it seems a little better. I still hate the search for unhide and delete guides. I wish they were in a right click menu.

Just a note. May be relevant or not but it makes me very curious. I have several times lost the ability to use sketchup because of the four second delay with the pick tool. Sometimes it returns after a month or two as an update is pushed. But the last two times it returned was after an AVAST notice that it had to shut down and restart. AVAST is my security program. Does this mean that the problem is a virus??

What is a false positive ? The Avast Antivirus shields and scans are proactive detection methods which provide the best protection possible. However, this can lead to a higher rate of false positive detections. A false positive detection is when a scan wrongly marks a safe file or website as a threat.

john

I will try this again. Sketchup make, after a win 10 update, will iniatiate the four second delay with the pick tool. Then after one, two or maybe three months later an update will again fix it.

But, now the last two times it was fixed when my security program (AVAST) said it had to restart my system I found that Sketchup was again fixed. Could this mean that the problem was a virus?

I am using Sketchup Make and obviously not for work as I am retired.

I would rather guess that AVAST was bogging down SketchUp for no reason at all and that an update fixed it.

Nicely done Trimble. I appreciate you ruining Sketch Up, its totally unusable now with no hope for a fix. Good to know we have people that wake up each day and go to a job to make a product that discounts every thing the user base is asking for just so the product can be made to fit the subscription model. The trend is obvious, no ones owns anything anymore and are forever chained to the subscription cost. Something happens and one has to cutback spending, one is left with no product, no support, no access and the company keeps everything collected up until then. Its up to the customers to turn this trend around but the subscriptions further divide us. Your web based approach has killed the ability for Ruby programmers to create for users and discussions that creation initiated.
I’m well aware this will fall on deaf ears as did every other comment made here. I wish all of you well with all the cash you imagine this move will make. The cost of upsetting people is nothing when compared to money in the bank.
Take care…

People with the “No clue” brand of graphics cards might, besides trying to update the driver, try turning off “Fast Feedback” on the Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL tab and restarting SketchUp.

3 Likes

Thank you for the laugh. This must surely be a joke because no reasonable person could seriously think that what is shown in your screen shot is due to Trimble “ruining Sketch Up”.

In this case I think use fast feedback needs to be turned on.

1 Like

I hope you are kidding. Trimble has put in more and more of what users’ has asked for lately, they’ve done a great job refactor old parts of the code base to increase performance and stability, whereas Google to a larger extent rushed in new features without having a very good base to build on, you can still buy a perpetual license, Ruby extension still works in the main version, and you seem to either have an unsupported graphic card or just need to tweak a setting.

3 Likes

Not kidding. Even included a screenshot of the issue that will never be fixed because its no longer supported.

The no clue answer was because its not for anyone but me to know.thanks for the no help your reply gave…

The problem your screen shot shows has been reported before and in every other case the problem was found to be the graphics drivers, not SketchUp. Your accusations are totally unfounded and off base.

That’s the sort of response that will earn you a place on ignore lists.

1 Like