Usually with those using anything over the Internet is forbidden, or even the computer used must be totally offline.
not necessarily as docs can be provided and then loaded into the modelling software.
AI is changing things’ at a fast rate’ all these years’ and Sketchup still can’t even
have “slope” piping. Sketchup seems to ignore the other disciplines (mechanical/electrical) in construction, took me 2 evenings with AI to be able to create slope piping’ (with no coding experience)
Still waiting for some action on having a “ignore” button in 3d warehouse, so at this point not feeling very comfortable with the services and will defiantly check new softwares listed here.
Thanx for pointing out the open-souce stuff’
lol wow a comment triggers people here’
SketchUp and LayOut are my daily drivers, but alternatives offer hope for future users. While advanced users (like myself) can benefit from esoteric features like IFC and others, SketchUp may have reached its peak for basic desktop modeling. Adding too many new features risks weighing down its core simplicity.
Critical areas still need major work—particularly performance, collaboration, and LayOut.
This mirrors software lifecycles across the industry. Once tools mature into commodities with few major feature:
-
Microsoft Office Little change in everyday usage, leading to free alternatives and the shift to Google Docs, open office, etc
-
Photoshop faced a similar plateau, prompting its shift to a subscription model and the rise of alternatives.
-
AutoCAD followed the exact same trajectory.
AI was used to make this text shorter and easier to read…
I don’t know why some people get mad with topics like this, I understand their love and devotion for SketchUp, I’m myself a huge SketchUp fan and supporter, I’ve created now 3 courses of SketchUp and layout for architecture, they’re free for interims but I’ve been able to earn a few bucks selling them on some platforms. I’m just happy that there’s a free open source option for SketchUp, a lot of users would love to have perpetual licenses like we had some years ago and pay a fee if you want to upgrade and get new features or any additional functionality to the software, now we are forced to take whatever they want us to give some years are good some years aren’t but we still must pay if we want to use the software. In 2021 when I got my MSeries MacBook I was offered to buy the last permanent license, I was tempted because I’m not an employee with a fixed salary, providing for my family depends on how many projects we can get per year, there have been good years and great years so far thanks to God, but another lockdown would be a nightmare for me an all the people who depend on me, so I was tempted to get the perpetual license just in case I didn’t have the money to pay for another subscription, then I remembered that Apple gives support to their products for 7 years on average, and that’s exactly what will happen, all those who use Mac and are still using a 2021 or older versions of sketchup, won’t be able to use it any more next year if they install the latest OS, cause the program that runs on the back won’t be installed with newer OS versions.
I’ve said it before, removing the make version and forcing the users to use a ver limited web version was a huge mistake, there should be a desktop version like the Make one, not free, it was Google who wanted it to be free for some reasons that have been discussed on the forum, a make version at the price of the Go version would be gold, SketchUp make was in my case the door to use SketchUp, if I had to use a web version instead back then, I’ll probably be using rhino or archicad. I’m not the only one who thinks this way, but Trimble doesn’t care about it.
I will keep using SketchUp cause it’s the tool that helps me provide for my family and families of workers of our business, but if ingetrazo gets the support and development that blender has, I won’t doubt it, I will make the transition and will be a donor of their project.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure there will eventually be hundreds or even thousands of people like you contributing to it.
Funny thing is, about a month ago I saw a forum Sage tell another SketchUp user not to post his promotional SketchUp YouTube videos on the forum. He had actually come to the forum trying to give something back to the community.
It’ll be interesting if that same person eventually ends up making videos about IngeTrazo instead. ![]()
Sometimes pushing people away just sends them straight toward the alternative.
Nothing wrong with posting promotional videos on the forum. It’s how and where you go about doing it.
Regardless, my concern with all these open source vibe coded apps is and will always be security and stability. Programs like sketchup have been around forever and earned it’s place in that regard.
Looks cool now, but, It’ll be awhile yet until apps like this will gain that kind of trust, imo, among the majority.
Ditto !
Reverse Engineer Anything through MCP. ![]()
Building SketchUp alternatives may be getting a lot easier.
Oh boy… here we go.
In a few more months the entire software ecosystem (Adobe, Trimble, AutoDesk, Dassault etc…) will be in big trouble. I don’t think they will go away but the prices may have to drop otherwise the customers will begin slowing bleeding away for cheaper and more permanent solutions. The whole SAAS model will crumble in my opinion.
It does all just feel a little like theft. Adobe’s subscription prices have been egregious for a long time but they have developed meaningful and useful tools. I don’t want to stick my neck out for these big profit hungry corpos but will some people stop creating if they think their ideas will just be stolen? will they not bother to make something if they don’t think they will be compensated for their time?
Note that I don’t endorse Adobe’s practices, but I think it’s not okay to just decompile the software and then recreate it. That’s theft in my book, too.
You don’t just pay for the code when you buy a program. Buying software also gives you “some” guarantees that it will be around in the future and maintained. Developers have to eat, and if building software is unprofitable, there’s a real risk you will end up with vibe-coded slop. Now, not all of these programs are bad, mind you, but you’ll lose some real guarantees, and there’s no guarantee the maintainers will stay interested long enough. So there’s real value in having companies create software for money.
And to add to this, I’d much rather pay for software from a reputable company than risk my entire business or livelihood on what is basically some copied or hacked and stolen software.
If there is now a way to reverse engineer any software, what’s stopping someone from writing a bit of code to trace your username, forum posts, email, IP address, company website, portal, your server and “reverse engineer” all of your work.
Why should a client pay your fee when AI can just sniff out your CAD drawings, copy them and slap a new logo on it.