SketchUp 2024 | RIP to more frequent updates

Best to start a new thread for what you’d like in 2025 :wink:

Totally agree, and Trimble could raise the price even more, no one would complain.

But the question is, where is SketchUp 2024? Really hoping for an update with my new MacBook Pro.

2 Likes

No, there would be a lot of complaining - just look at many threads about price and Layout and etc… it’s what the internet hosts best - complainers.

1 Like

That’s been an open goal for a decade, yet Trimble keep missing, or possibly don’t even attempt, or want, to score.

I see these as the headline improvements that Trimble need to action:

• combine LayOut into SketchUp making it a single program, (as per every other major design software package out there) therefore giving consistency of commands, shortcuts, etc and avoiding the nightmare that standalone LayOut has always been (without tiresome workarounds and compromises)
  • add-in genuine 2D (locked) plan (top) view drafting, AutoCAD-style (again, as per every other major design software), noting that SU on the iPad offers (or offered for testing) this functionality, so it’s obviously very doable. Add it in, and many would jettison AutoCAD permanently, so what’s not to like?
  • purchase the rights to a number of the better plug-ins, unify their interface and workflow with OEM SU, then bake them into vanilla SU, and thus offering the consistency of one standard interface and functionality, as this is THE major issue with many plug ins.
  • update the interface to something less 1997, and also provide a couple of dark-mode variations.

If they actioned these it would remove a huge chunk of the complaints from users and forums. Adding tiny incremental (and thus almost imperceptible) improvements and/or additions year on year just doesn’t cut it anymore. It needs fundamental improvements to move it to the next level. And all this could be done whilst still ensuring the SU faithful are still sufficiently appeased and onboard…but I’m past waiting and have now given up all hope until Trimble sell it on.

5 Likes

It’s March 15th and we still haven’t heard from 2024

The release is definitely unknown to all except Trimble. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see

I heard.

1 Like

So…are you just talking about viewing from the top and having the camera set to “parallel” instead of “perspective”?

So, I kind of find this humorous because any time I open up something from Autodesk or even Solidworks I think to myself “geeze, this whole UI looks like a cartoon!”, meanwhile it feels like Trimble has been going the other direction with their toolset icons (although they are still a little cartoon-ish).

As for the dark mode variations: why not just make them yourself and save the style in a template that you set as your default? This kind of seems like an easy workaround.

1 Like

Styles only affect the viewport. A true dark mode is the interface itself.

2 Likes

There are many issues with dark mode. Take a look at the latest version of Vectorworks. Black lines turn white. Obviously this won’t work on a piece of paper.

So we’re confronted with a dumb Beta version of what this should become one day in the future.

This is getting a bit off topic, though.

Again, dark mode is the interface of the UI, not the viewport. The viewport is already customizable. Almost all other software does have a dark mode, and it would be nice to have it here too. Cheers.

Probably Trimble took all the feature requests and are trying to implement them in sketchup 2024, that would explain the delay, out of the softwares I use, Sketchup is the only one that hasn’t released a 2024 version, it should better be something huge like a newer API for Mac and windows.

:wink:

there is another characteristic, it is the instability of SketchUp when there is a new version of MacOs. I don’t have an example of software that causes this problem.

well then first wish for 2025, that there are new features from 2024

That is mainly an Apple issue. It has happened to Windows too.

Logically, if the problem comes from Apple, other applications should pose the same problem, but I don’t see any information about this, and personally I don’t encounter this problem on older software. When using APIs, you need to respect guidelines.

Hang on, not an issue I know anything about or want to get into but… if you release a new operating system and things break for multiple versions, many of those versions created prior to the update…is that the fault of the software developer for not anticipating the changes you have made.

Unfortunately, I have had Windows updates that have only affected one application.

In principle, the developer doesn’t have to anticipate anything, he just has to comply with the rules of use of the apis. On the other hand, it happens that an API is deprecated, but we don’t discover it by surprise.

And when Apple breaks things sketchup developers should have anticipated that somehow…

1 Like