Sketchup 2023 update is a big disappointment

Off topic: I’m on solar power :wink:

No, Electricity cost is based on the amount used, not the time licensed…

4 Likes

But, on-topic now, the fact that Trimble launches a 2023 version full of bugs, which are not solved in the previous maintenance, says a lot. Pro support even sent me to my reseller because they have not any clue themselves. Since the release of 2023 I have never quit the program, it quits itself. I’m back to 2022 again…

Off Topic: Thanks for your insight on ‘making money’. I use Sketchup Pro, and I rely upon it for 3D visualisation for garden designs and landscapers (8th year doing this), also for museums and wildlife organisations. I’m somewhat a jack of all trades creative and made hand painted signs for local shops, designed compost toilets for a very successful business, amongst other things. I have refurbished a house during lockdown. These are the normal jobs I need to take in order to make ends meet in a small rural town in Wales and also ensure I am kept physically fit and satisfies the creative urge in me. If you think any of that is non-commercial then please enlighten me.

One of my best friends was a bespoke furniture maker in Machynlleth who endeavoured to make ends meet for 30 years or so — I can appreciate where you’re coming from.

But serious question…

So, approx. £290 inc VAT is too much for you ?

3 Likes

not up for discussing my personal finances on here thanks

2 Likes

I have been slowly trying to learn Rhino and implement it as my toolset for reasons :roll_eyes: :arrow_up:

it’s not enough it should be much more for a new flip tool function which corresponds (almost) to multiplying by -1 the x, y or z components of each point of an object.

1 Like

Sketchup is great, the tools implemented aren’t the only things that a newer version brings, also bugs fixed and improvements are made for every new version, it looks that the only thing that affects most of the people is already being worked on, the performance both in Skp and Layout when a file is big, just be patient, sketchup is great as it is, the native tools are very useful and plug-ins convert skp in a super powerful software.

1 Like

Well, for the moment I’m back to using older versions… 2023 is the most buggy version I’ve seen, and I’ve been a sketchuppper for the past 15 years, so my patience has now run out.

6 Likes

SketchUp has not developed dynamic components. That is the reason why there is no progress in this regard.
Trimble is developing Live Components. You should try them.

Dynamic Components have, for instance, the advantage of working without an Internet connection. It is a shame that their several known bugs have not been fixed and have been there since first launch.

8 Likes

I agree with you but I imagine that there is no solution for that…

Inkscape doesn’t work all that well TBH. PDFs often have a LOT of extra lines that are not visible in the regular PDF. As a result, there is a lot of cleanup that must be done before the output from Inkscape can be useful.

I’ve decided instead to purchase the Vector PDF Importer plugin from Brock & Kaczor and it works better than Inkscape. Highly recommend it,

I also want to know can the 2023 read ALL my 2019 files?
Will I need to call up each individual file and make it a 2023 file
or is does SKU convert a whole directory of files?
IF for any reason I want to go back and save it as 2019 file will that be possible?

I did created this during Covid for 1.5 years
Does the new SKU 2023 have a render that would save me from having another render like Lumion?
Is there a place where one can read what is new comparing 2023 and 2019?
Thank you.

You should try Qcad pro, it’s a very cheap cad software that allows you to convert pdf to dwg very fast, and it keeps all the information of the pdf like layers, line colors.” And styles.

One other big frustration about SketchUp Pro, for me, is the Migration between major releases. No Recent Files being migrated to the new screen, no templates migrated, scrapbook, toolbars, etc. And if there is a external developed plug in to take care of this is there should be, at least but not acceptable, a link to it during the process of upgrading. As of today I cancel the automatic renew subscription option.

3 Likes

Sketchup 2023 Right click function missing,It’s a very unfriendly setback

Which right click function is missing?

I suspect this right-click function is not native to Sketchup and instead was added because of an extension.

And after upgrading to new version the extension is not installed and the right-click function is not available anymore.

Not 100% sure but if I had to bet, this is my prediction.