RubyZip Gem install issue in SU 2021

I am facing an issue once when i tried to install rubyzip gem on Sketchup 2021.
The same gem was working fine with no issues on Sketchup 2020.

Error : cannot load such file – zip

Has anyone had the same problem?

Yes. please learn to search the forum …

https://forums.sketchup.com/search?q=RubyZip

1 Like

Tried renaming the zip module under lib folder, but once when you reopen sketchup 2021, the file names are reverted back to the original names.

Any other workarounds/suggestions?

I do not know what this means as I never have had any issue with the RubyZip gem, nor have I ever had to rename any of it’s files nor it’s Zip module.

I cannot say because I do not understand why you (and others) are having an issue with this gem.

What is the path to your gem folder?

The path to my gem folder is “C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\Gems64\gems\rubyzip-2.3.2”

Where do i need to place the Zip module ?

You don’t “place” it anywhere. You install it at the Console using:

Gem::install("rubyzip")

If install is successful the gem’s GemSpec will be displayed.

1 Like

When i installed rubyzip , the gemspec got displayed.
In addition to that the following errors too got logged in console.

No such file or directory @ apply2files - C:/Users/renji/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/SketchUp/Gems64/gems/rubyzip-2.3.2/samples/zipfind.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:1466:in unlink' ...................................................................................................... C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/request_set.rb:183:in install’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:325:in install' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems.rb:633:in install’

:in `' SketchUp:in `eval'

After looking into this further, the issue is not specific to the RubyZip . The issue that we are experiencing is that the gems installation fails once we try to install it through plugins that we created.

Attached is the error(exception) message that we are receiving

Extension returned wrong type for method version

cannot load such file – zip

C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:92:in `require’

C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:92:in `require’