Needing to buy new workstation, Will this Dell work?

yep.

Upgrading later on was meant concerning the graphics card, not the main processor.

The better Dell Precision workstations do in general use the Xeon CPU and AMD FirePro GPU. The best non-workstation system is probably the XPS 8900 with an i7-6700 (non-K version) and a subclass GeForce GTX 745…

… and get a SSD (instead of a HDD) at least for the system volume (256+ GB).

my recent pre-configured HP Envy H8 with 16 GB working memory was delivered with 2x 8 GB RAM modules with 2 slots free… but as Dan already said, you never know before.

ok thanks for all the help guys. looks like i may be needing more research. I still don’t think i can go the cutsom route because of the scenario it is being purchased under, have to keep it simple on the books…

the dell seems like it would work however correct? might not be the best in the world, but it will function correctly and i’ll be able to get work done. Or maybe i should look at HP, ive just always heard Dell is a better choice for some reason.

the OpenGL stack of AMD graphics cards resp. their drivers do unfortunately have shown some incompatibility issues (artefacts, crashes) in the past, especially in connection with but not limited to the 64-bit version of SketchUp.

2 Likes

oh really, i did not know that, well that would effect the thought of that purchase i guess… What about Nvidia cards?

I created a standalone wikilist of collected topic threads:
Hardware Purchasing Advice For SketchUp & LayOut

Yes, IMO, get an Nvidia card if you can and more RAM.

1 Like

the nVidia GeForce GT(X) consumer series (not Quadro CAD series) do regularly run without probs, thus my recommendation above.

1 Like

I like my GTX 750. more so than Quadro at my work.
It never gave me any problem and runs well.

You may benefit from SSD when reading and writing large files?
I got 256 SSD for primary drive and 2 TB for storage.

And actually I own Dell XPS desktop I think the model name was 8800. But Radeon card has been swapped with nVidia, and more RAM has been put in with more capacity PSU. Only Mainboard and CPU is how it was shipped :smiley:

1 Like

all the invidia cards offered for substitues in the dell are quadros. would these not work well then?

the nVidia Quadros will do as well but are slower compared with a GeForce at the same price range.

1 Like

So, this is the strategy that I took when I was purchasing my machine:

I found a deal for XPS desktop. No monitor, just some accessories included in the deal.
Customized to have not the top of the line, but higher spec CPU and Motherboard (you don’t really get any motheroard choice)
And the rest of the components were all selected for the default or lower range.
Then I purchased my own choice of GPU and additional RAMs, SSD with some online deals. The original components included with the case were swapped and sold off on ebay for extra cash (MINT OEM PARTS).

A bit of hassle I went through 3 years ago. When I had plenty of time on my hands :smiley:

I didn’t break any law here, did I? I hope I didn’t say anything wrong in public.

1 Like

Quadros do work very well, but they are expensive in relation to the GeForce cards that give more performance with less money. If you decide for a Quadro, do not select from the low end of the spectrum or you will be disappointed. The M2000 would probably suffice.

Anssi

2 Likes

thanks everyone. I talked with the boss and apparently they have a guy they have build computers for them from time to time. Hes going to put in a top processor which would you prefer? (i7 or xeon?)r, 16g ram, invidia 5000 because my boss has one and likes it. lol on windows 7 pro

Again, nothing wrong with Xeons but the price. You mentioned things like Solidworks - I don’t personally know it but hardcore 3D solid modelling tends to be quite processor intensive.

Anssi

ok thank you. solidworks will be rare but may be used. im mostly going to be using sketchup. thanks for all the help

The Xeon CPUs and the nVidia Quadro CAD series are fine but typically more expensive than comparable Core i CPUs and nVidia GeForce consumer series without providing an additional gain for SU.

The mentioned Xeon E5-1620 v3 delivers pretty the same performance as a Core i7-6700 (w/o K) for in this case roughly the same pricing.

Swapping a Quadro later on to a GeForce if more power is required is not a big thing (i.e. uninstall driver, swap card, install driver).

PCs are modular systems by design, changing hardware modules is obviously allowed :wink:

Haha, I know :smiley:

Thanks for the confirmation!

One concern I’ve always had with buying any In-A-Box computer system, is that the OEM invariably installs a low output power supply. Even if it is sufficient for the factory components, any attempt to add larger graphics cards, more hard drives, etc is likely to cause some really funky power issues.
I’d highly recommend that you include a higher output, BRANDED power supply, and regardless of what many advertisers state, biggest is not always better, there are limits to what your system needs…there are even web pages with apps that take the guess work out of what capacity you need.
When you realize that the power supply has the ability to fry almost any component in your system, buying a PSU from a company with a good reputation for quality is the way to go, don’t simply buy the cheapest.

Cheers, eh.

C.C.

1 Like

It is very true PSU are important. and you don’t want to find out that your machine is suffering due to lack of quality power supply. It won’t even turn on in some cases. Calculating wattage prior would be something worth doing.