Medeek Electrical

I’m failing to grok why you went to the level of detail of modeling the interior. Which is to say, it looks to me that you’re forgetting the forest while concentrating on the trees - or on the individual leafs!

Placing the box for planning code required clearances for doing an interior design layout. That only needs the box/cover.

Having most of the options you have planned - so they can be on a call out - I’m OK with that, but still only needs the box/cover for the SketchUp model.

Planning conduit runs where a non structurally aware electrician might otherwise critically weaken the structure with improper routing also only needs the box/cover. Or do you also plan to track down the knockout pre-punches of every back box so that planning conduit runs can land exactly on a pre-specified knock out?

Interior designers who use high quality renders for presentation of ideas would, I’m fairly sure, render with the cover closed.

I’m unfamiliar with BIM at all but the conceptual level. But even there, if I were designing the details of a BIM system, the most I can conceive of specifying is the brand and part# of a particular load center - perhaps so far as a circuit breaker schedule, but I just can’t imagine, even in this case, the need to model the circuit breakers.

The only case I can imagine where any but the most details obsessed modeler would model the details of the interior is for the only load centers I’m aware of (that are available in the US) where you can see the interior with the door closed: A few of the Leviton load centers.

OK. There are probably still some small breaker count interior load centers that, instead of having door-in-door designs, have the front panel also serve as the deadfront, with the breakers visible and no door at all. But even there, it’s only the visible part of the breaker that might need modeling.

As an aside, I should mention that Leviton has been in this market in the US for about a year now and have a couple of other distinctive features:

• They’re the only load centers I’m aware of that aren’t grey! Their NEMA1 load centers are white!
  • The breakers have the clearest indication of their status (on/off/tripped) that I’ve seen
  • The Arc Fault, Ground Fault, and Dual Function breakers have status LEDs for each additional form of protection.

Different brands? Why are you doing this work yourself? With the exception of the Leviton I just mentioned, they all look so similar - especially when closed - that pre-building every brand’s load centers seems a waste of time.

Time that, I imagine, would be better spent on other things like:

• Shed Walls
  • Developing a standard for an importable representation of variations of things like load centers - to let other’s create their own if they aren’t satisfied with the ones that come with the tool(s). The number of light fixtures alone boggles my mind. No matter what you choose to include, someone will want a variation - or something completely different!
  • I’m sure you have many other, much more widely useful features on your punch list.