M3 processor release

yes, but no. M1 was 3.2 - M2 was 3.5 Ghz. Sure, it can and will increase, but not THAT much.

indeed.
Apple is a master of communication and advertising. for years they’ve told us the mac is soooo great for gaming because of the powerful chipsets. Sure. but if studios don’t make games optimised, then it’s moot. I mean, Myst ? really ? Still beating that dead horse ?

Will sketchup be faster ? well sure, all softwares become a bit faster when upgrading your gear. but not as transcendantal as what they say in the advertising keynote
I mean, as you say, it’s already pretty fast (M1 mini here), most of the performance block I get is from my limited RAM

no. probably not

For years, since the Metal and M1 architecture, people have asked this question, and Chaos doesn’t seem inclined to. I mean, they are not interested in being optimized with anything but Nvidia. and AMD has been here longer than M series.

Sure, the M3 is now capable of raytracing, but chaos has two choices when it comes to use it : either adapt the existing solution, with a quality degradation in the process, or rewriting everything for metal.
will they do either ? the future will tell. but I wouldn’t bet on it. Until they announce and release it, I’ll consider PC’s are more optimised for rendering with out softwares.

Think of it as a car engine. you can add horsepower on top of horsepower, and make a bugatti chiron faster than a bugatti veyron.
But then, if the roads remain limited to 130, 50 in the cities, no matter how quick your car is.

My 2010 renault modus will still catch up with it. :sweat_smile:

That being said, I’m glad we’re moving to M3.
my mac mini M1 will be 3 years old this spring, time to sell it second hand and upgrade to a mac mini M3.