Is Sketchup compatible with other home design software?

a lot of useless pontificating.

I sort of agree. Most houses people build are more or less generic. It is quite common for people to first try to work out a plan that suits them, and then go to an architect, contractor or prefab house manufacturer and let them make it into something workable. Probably in most cases a waste of their time but, well, I don’t see much criminality in it. Talking to a professional right in the start would in many cases produce good options to choose from, and, often, save money.

2 Likes

Best response - speak with a professional Architect!

The good thing for you is that you basically have an empty box to fill. No worries about coursing or levels or u values or…. it’s such a long list of stuff you can avoid. (If I’m taking this in right). Anyway, my advice would be to get yourself on to the manufacturers and ask them if they have a library of previous designs, or past systems they’ve made. Then you’ll know what’s possible, and a better idea of what’s not. Get a pen and paper and sketch out some ideas or modifications, then head to SU and get modelling. You should know by then the rough layout you want. Remember, it’s got to be functional for you, but it’s also got to be useful and easy to use, rooms and services etc laid out sensibly.
Would I be right in saying that your walls are set widths to suit the system? You need to know this.
To be honest, you need to know even more, but that’s plenty to get you going I hope.

If you’re feeling like this might be too much to take on, from a technical/construction point of view, you might find it easier using Home Designer, or similar. Sure, those types of programs have a much steeper learning curve, but because the construction part of it is pretty much a set of options, it would maybe suit you better. It takes the technical stuff away and gets you more into layouts and styles.