Ergonomics and a tired wrist

Try putting the wrist rest nearer the edge of the desk and awayfrom your actual wrist. More of a forearm rest. This turns your arm into a lever that needs only control the weight of your hand and mouse, without putting pressure on the wrist - which is the very structure susceptible to swollen tendons in the carpal tunnel which are the ring of bones around those tendons… in the wrist.

1 Like

I have been using gaming mouses too, but the extra buttons are useless for lefties :frowning:

Thanks ItsBrett, wise words indeed. However, I’ve invested in a Logitech Ergonomic Vertical Mouse, so now my hand / wrist is in the handshake position, which I find much better. It moves the contact point to the side of my wrist, which isn’t as bony as the front, which is where I get a sore spot. Took a little while to get used to but I also realised that when I’m doing detailed mouse work, I tend to tense up my hand & wrist, causing undue strain. I use a lot of hand tools & it’s like using any hand tool really, you have to remember to relax your grip sometimes & let the tool do the work for you. Saves on blisters too…lol. But I still have my old mouse and if I ever use it again I’ll try your suggestion, it makes sense to me. Cheers.

I always chime in. I switched to using a high sensitivity and acceleration mouse setting. I use SpeedMouse software and a Razer gaming mouse. I use my fingers and very little wrist to control it. The base of my hand is usually resting in one spot on the pad. I use a Razer pad too that is very thin. Few problems since then.

1 Like

Time to model that mouse in 3d, mirror it, 3d-print it, then take the guts out of the one you have and reassemble in reverse. Don’t forget you can’t mirror the side button shapes; they’ll have to be upside down.

Should take, ah, 10-15min. Plus 3 weeks. :wink:

1 Like