Creating a perfect circle to cut on a laser cutter

Autodesk seems to be quite pessimistic about the hardware they suppose people use to run TrueView, as this resolution is set to 100 by default. Reminds me of the old days - when running AutoCad 2.5 on an IBM AT 286 with 1 MB of memory in the late 1980s really required to set all these as low as possible without turning mad.

I attach a screenshot of the options window in TrueView 2014.

Anssi

better fast and rough than smooth and sluggish…

XT 8088 (no math. copro) with 640kb RAM and Hercules graphics on monochrome 14" monitor here |-)

I have found a way that exports circles (surface or not) and cylinders (solid), created in sketchup, and exported in sketchup, and imported in autocad (or other CAD-software), that remain circles or cylinders once imported.

I still need to write a ruby script for it, so I will publish it when ready.

This is great info. Visually bringing it into Illustrator the curves seem to be smooth I have yet to try it out on a CNC. The one problem that I am running into is if I have a curve and offset it and then export, the original curve will look smooth, but the offset will display line segments. Please see pic below. Thoughts?

Unfortunately the Offset tool in SketchUp actually offsets the segmented polyline SketchUp uses to represent the arcs and not the “real geometry” behind, so the result of offsetting an arc is not an arc but a polyline with its line segments parallel to the line segments of the arc.

Anssi

Interesting… that is unfortunate, but thanks for the quick response.

Steve

if it needs to remain an arc, you can offset it manually instead of using the offset tool. (as in- use the arc tool to create the second arc at the proper offset position/radius)

FYI, using the 3D export method to get real circles and arcs only works if the plane they are on is perfectly perpendicular to the camera - just spent time battling with a set of CNC profiles that wouldn’t export right because they were somehow on a 0.000176 degree angle in relation to the camera at export time :frowning:

Wrong.
In 3D export, the exported objects are not affected by your camera view in any way. SketchUp exports a 3D model of what is in the 3D space of your model, creating lines, arcs and 3D polyfaces using the same 3D coordinates as they do in your model.
A 2D export is basically a line drawing of what is currently visible on your screen, and therefore the camera view affects the export very much. The “drawing” consists of straight line segments and, if selected, faces are exported as “solid” hatch objects.

Anssi

You’re right - sorry for the misinformation.
it seems I’m facing some other problem that I thought I had solved but hadn’t.

In the attached file some arcs and circles export as “true” in DWG format but others do not - I’ve tried all sorts of things and updating each and every arc and circle doesn’t seem to work either. Its as if some arcs and circles get “forgotten” during export and the ones which aren’t processed correctly changes each time.

I’m referring mostly to the plate on the right
12mm_ProblemPlate.skp (180.2 KB)

One thing is certain, both plates aren’t entirely flat.
This is what the plates look like in front view after scaling them up in blue direction by 1000x

I added two vertical dummy edges, one on each “face”, to obtain the vertical scaling handle in the middle of the top area of the bounding box after selection (for vertical scaling only)
Without the two edges you won’t be able to scale in vertical direction only.

scaling them up in blue direction by 1000x

Yeah, thats embarrassing. Wish I had thought of that before posting. Thanks very much.

Turns out faces can appear and act planar within sketchup even when they’re not - so when they export they play up as I mentioned above even though they worked OK in SU. Now that faces are all planar, circles and arcs are exporting properly.

Thanks for your help folks - sorry for not checking it thoroughly myself before posting.

Just to help you confirm the error, here it is without scaling up at all. Made the precision more accurate for the units to remove the tilde and you can see with the standard text label tool the small but significant differences in the z plane.

1 Like

Thanks for this great insight…