An open letter to Trimble

In this age of information one really needs to investigate everything one reads online, like I said it just appears suspicious.

3 Likes

And they are?.. I’m inclined to see it from @solo’s perspective. Very suspicious and you’re a lone (almost sycophantic) voice in support of Trimble’s extremely poor efforts over recent years.

3 Likes

There you go Pete there are reason mate, simple reasons…

Nah, Devine’s letter is definitely not Trimble marketing copy. Look at that second paragraph. Let’s cut him/her some slack.

I often have to remind myself that not everyone looks at SketchUp the same way that I do. For example I’m not a fan of software subscriptions or online applications, but there are people who do want this and will gladly adopt it. And honestly SketchUp is still a really cool piece of software - if we all discovered it today for the first time, it’s likely we’d all be super positive about it.

2 Likes

Maybe others enjoy the program and its possibilities instead of taking part in these kind of discussions every new version again and again…

8 Likes

You’re obviously easily pleased. Congrats.

Yes. Thank you!

3 Likes

Personally i think Sketchup has become progressively worse since Trimble acquired it.
I had planned to invest in the Pro version, tested the demos, and got loads of issues. Some geometry becomes wonky very easily, breaking sometimes into many parts after which trying to get proper whole faces becomes impossible. This of course translates to any render engine.

I strongly concur with the premise of this open letter. Resources should have been directed towards making Sketchup better, not having Sketchup fit in the Trimble universe most legacy users are unfamiliar with, unless it’s been done deliberately to alienate the vast Sketchup community.

Like i said: i would love to spend money on a decent Sketchup. Given the bugs and tediousness in working with Layout (slow slow slow even with an RTX 2080), i have requested a form Z demo. Hopefully i will find some solace there.

2 Likes

You owe it to yourself to check out Blender 2.8.

How would you even compare Blender and Sketchup? They’re so different.(And why would you assume i don’t know Blender?)

1 Like

We’ll, yes they are different. Blender has a full renderer built in, along with animation, advanced materials and sculpting tools. They also he have several very nice architectural addons as well.

Both Blender and SU are surface modelers (FormZ is a solids modeler).

I don’t even know what you’re after, but there’s a good chance Blender can do it, if you take the time to learn. Modifiers alone are worth it.

1 Like

Sure Blender is part of my toolbox. I’m just a lot more used to Sketchup modeling. Form-z looks like it’s similar to Sketchup in how it can be translated into construction plans without all the bugs Sketchup currently suffers from.

That doesn’t mean i won’t use Blender, just not for that.

But i do dislike going off-topic, so i will stop here.

2 Likes

@DaveR

Had you bothered to read my post, you would see I was only pointing out cloud based solutions can work. No where did I say the two were functionally compatible. In fact I said the opposite: