An open letter to Trimble

All recent versions of Pro works with plug-ins.

2 Likes

It’s the last free version that functions with plugins. Professional continue to have plugins in the new releases of Pro.

4 Likes

FormZ is a good SU alternative, it has its own version of Layout too.

3 Likes

Comes with arch tools (walls, windows, stair tools etc) and a good rendering engine. Yes it does cost a bit more too.

0 Likes

@chippwalters. Thank you for taking the time to write your open letter. You make a lot of points here, but I shall only pick up one for now - because it seems to be the most important.

You stated that Trimble is a private company and asked that we share our multi-year roadmap. I completely understand that a lot of people would love to know where we’re taking SketchUp. However, we’re not privately-held but a public company (TRMB on NASDAQ). US public companies are subject to US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) rules. These rules place very substantial restrictions on what we can say about our future plans. Therefore, in line with most other public companies, we do not publish roadmaps.

Some of the other companies in the 3D or AEC spaces are privately held, so the GAAP rules don’t apply to them and they are therefore much more free to talk about their future plans than we are.

All the best.

1 Like

2 Likes

This thread is getting kind of ‘meta’, but I want to assure everyone that there is no intention on my team’s part to provide insult on this or any other topic. GAAP rules are, unfortunately, not an arbitrary claim. In fact, they are a significant component of the legal rules under which our business operates.

As I said in the thread from which Solo is quoting Chip’s response to my comment, this is just one of three reasons why we don’t habitually share our roadmap publicly. Additionally, not all public US corporations interpret GAAP in the same way (re: Autodesk), but it isn’t up to me to change Trimble’s policy on this subject.

1 Like

Every time I (and many others) met members from the SketchUp team we were so delighted on how open and approachable people they are. That’s why we are still here! Users shouldn’t blame the SketchUp team for the situation. Still, similar disappointment occurs to some degree on every release (I remember SU 7.2, 8…), as it probably occurs for other softwares too. In parts expectations are very diverse and high, but also one could hope that after 7 years SketchUp has been strengthened enough since the Google era to start taking off, not only in terms of success but also realization of expectations.

The letter is targeted to decision-makers at Trimble. It is up to them to judge the situation (or risk that people would really vote by their feet) and whether to adjust their interpretation of law and company culture of openess.

10 Likes

@hugh_mcevoy & @chippwalters. Ummmm not being an authority on GAAP rules, the acronym does refer to ACCOUNTING Principles. See https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/01/january-accounting-rule-change-will-be-painful-for-tech-companies/. I think companies like Microsoft and Apple are happy to share product development plans with developers, BETA’s in fact so please, perhaps not “multi-year roadmaps” but let’s not use GAAP rules as cover.

And yes a public company, who gives GUIDANCE see https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2019/02/06/trimble-navigation-ltd-trmb-q4-2018-earnings-confe.aspx. Sketchup is only a very small part of Trimble and only mentioned twice at the end of the guidance. But what you can learn is that there will be no turning back for them on this subscription model. My suggestion would be to reach out the analysts who cover Trimble (listed at the end of the guidance) and share our combined outcry, that could have an effect on share price, perhaps the only thing that matters to Trimble.

Using Sketchup since @Last Software, I just began Blender tutorials and made the decision to not subscribe, ever.

6 Likes

I don\t know about the roadmap stuff or what GAAP is, however I have only ever worked for two companies, one private in London and one public in Sweden. If I spoke about future plans and roadmaps outside either of them I would expect to have lost my job without question.

Certainly my current employer takes it even further, I can technically loose my job for taking a photo on my phone anywhere inside my office. And I work in Sweden, thats very liberal compared to the US.

5 Likes

Yeah, but you are an employee. It should be your company the one giving the roadmap…

And we should not forget that we are asking for a roadmap because SketchUp’s development has been so limited for the last years, that one can only be worry about sketchUp’s future.

1 Like

I understand the motivation to going online. Have you considered publishing the object model that runs within the browser? This would enable people writing Chrome extensions or enhanced browsers to interact with the model using Javascript. In that case the scripts/extensions would be loaded locally.
I have written a browser frame that can dynamically load scripts and interact with local devices. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss it further if your interested.

0 Likes

It 's exactly one of the feelings I have, an other one being sort of “imposed way” that no one asked me for, with no way to get out of it without loss… It’s for me a loyalty issue…

0 Likes

Here is my response Open letter

0 Likes

How odd, you joined this forum a week ago and now suddenly a pro Trimble open letter all in it’s own thread, advertised in another, kinda suspicious to me.

8 Likes

Wow! @Solo , if you really are that cynical and skeptical, then there’s not much that anyone could say to convince you. There are very simple reasons that this profile has only been active for a week.

1 Like

In this age of information one really needs to investigate everything one reads online, like I said it just appears suspicious.

3 Likes

Open letter

And they are?.. I’m inclined to see it from @solo’s perspective. Very suspicious and you’re a lone (almost sycophantic) voice in support of Trimble’s extremely poor efforts over recent years.

2 Likes

There you go Pete there are reason mate, simple reasons…

0 Likes

Nah, Devine’s letter is definitely not Trimble marketing copy. Look at that second paragraph. Let’s cut him/her some slack.

I often have to remind myself that not everyone looks at SketchUp the same way that I do. For example I’m not a fan of software subscriptions or online applications, but there are people who do want this and will gladly adopt it. And honestly SketchUp is still a really cool piece of software - if we all discovered it today for the first time, it’s likely we’d all be super positive about it.

2 Likes