Adjust multiple parts of an imported component simultaneously

And the Entity Info is very helpful to understand what Entity a material is actually applied to.

OK you star people. I am wondering if you can help me with my next debacle. I muscled through colouring of the model manually. I now have a problem with exporting the model to a lighting design software called capture sweden.

Upon exporting and importing, the model went very wrong. The colours have failed, and some of the materials are missing. Please see the below images of the finished sketchup model, and the import attempt into capture, to see what I mean:

I spoke to the technical support at Capture, and they said Capture doesn’t support double sided material applications, only front face materials. To be honest I have no idea how to fix this, so that the machine looks close to correct in Capture.

If anyone has any suggestions I’d be delighted.

Thanks

Switch SketchUp to monochrome mode either via the toolbar or by editing the active style. Then examine the model for visible blue-gray faces. If you also edit the back color to something garish it can be easier to see. Those are faces whose “back” side faces outward. Many renderers and other software can not cope with back face sides, in particular with materials on back face sides.

Select the back side faces and right-click-> reverse faces (or pick a correct face and right-click orient faces, though sometimes SketchUp can’t figure out your surfaces and orient faces just changes which ones are wrong). Once all the faces are correctly oriented, reapply your materials to the now-visible front sides.

there are export options for single sided materials on some of the exporters…

which are you using?

john

John thanks, was just importing the sketchup file INTO capture, as its supports this directly, however I have also been advised to try exporting it from sketchup first as a DXF file, but when I try to do this sketchup crashes :frowning:

dxf has no materials at all, try .obj if it accepts that…

if they have an importer then making sure your back faces have no material should work…

surely…

john

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.