3D printing a model with nested instances?

Could be but I’d expect to see similar shading color elsewhere in the model.

You may well be correct, but my Whiskey eyes virus your coffee eyes anything is possible.

1 Like

Solid inspector makes those faces darker once it fixes them. I tried manually to reverse the faces but get other errors. I think its just the way I have it angled

I agree with @mikey_c , you don’t need to use any plugin unless you need to, what you are doing is a very good practice, learning the whole process is essential and @Box is a great person to get insights on that process, he is one of the top contributors here especially when it comes to 3D printing.

@Box I’m not being baised but sometime you might end up in a case where a plugin might be handy and this is why I worked on developing one. Lets take a case where you spent several weeks working on a design to print as 20 cm tall white plastic figurine with multiple textures and then later on you got into a situation where you need to print that as 5 cm sandstone but some parts where made to fit 0.7mm wall-thickness of the white plastic and not the 2.0mm wall thickness requirement of sandstone, add the change of scale then you will for sure get parts that will break and most printing services won’t even bother trying to print it out if there is a breakage risk and to make it worse the need to make all textures merged for each single object , you end up with few solutions:

1- Re-design the whole thing for several weeks.
2- Try to fix it for GOD knows how long (1,2,3 days, 1 week or even a month!).
3- Try using a plugin to fix it within few mins and without wasting your time.

Plugins won’t always do the job, I totally agree with you on that! but still you gain some precious time and if you think about it, your time is the most precious thing that no body can get back!

Regarding pricing, you might end up getting multiple price tags and that would depend on the printing service, try comparing multiple printing services before doing any print. 3D hubs is a good option too especially if you are considering FDM.
you can compare the main 3 printing services using a service like this one:
https://3d-printing-price.all3dp.com/

Hopefully that is the case, you could always attach or PM the model and we can check it for you.
If we see it we can give you a full thumbs up or point you to any errors and how to fix them.

thanks Box, Dave’s got it already

1 Like