2D geometry has shifting color

1. To edit your profile see this post by DaveR - Sketchup Reliability - #8 by DaveR

It has nothing directly to do with the topic title, though.

The Free version doesn’t have a year - leave that blank.

1. Well, that’s because the floor is on the same Z-level (zero i.e., 0) as other components. Turn its tag off to remove the shimmer when you don’t need to see the floor itself.

2. I’m not very familiar with the Free version, but I can’t believe it doesn’t have a Cut, Copy, Paste and Paste in place equivalent. Will have to check.

[A little later]

Yes it does. Ctrl+C = Copy, Ctrl+X = Cut, Ctrl+V = Paste. Standard Window shortcuts, used even on Mac for which Ctrl would usually be replaced by Command. Select something, copy it to clipboard, change context if you need to (for example to put some geometry or an object into or out of a component or group.

I can’t find a shortcut yet, nor a direct menu location, for Paste in Place but the command is there. Click on the little Search icon above the column of icons on the left of the modelling window, then type the start of paste in place in the search box. Press Enter to activate the action.

[EDIT] I see while I was typing you have a response about these in the interface - R click. Thanks @McGordon

1. So long as you “place small colored rectangles on it” (my emphasis) you WILL get shimmering. It’s the way OpenGL (which SU uses) works. So if you want to avoid shimmering, you have to place your other objects IN that floor face.

Or while it’s a separate component, you have to turn its visibility tag off.

Or perhaps you could work in Xray mode. Not sure if that would avoid it, but it might.

V late here. Off to bed now, half past midnight.