Sketchup files cause Windows Explorer to crash

I am using SketchUp 2014, on Windows 7. I use the program to create visuals of projects at work. When in Windows Explorer - without an open SketchUp program - if I come to a folder with a SketchUp file in it, Windows Explorer will inevitably crash within about 15 seconds. It’s not just happening to me, but to my team members as well.

The additional details for the crash are below:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d6727a7
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1282
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea91c
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000c3873
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1282
Additional Information 2: 128282455a7578cb792db56347f618e2
Additional Information 3: 50d5
Additional Information 4: 50d5b615ab5299ad3ade7d917d646947

And another crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d6727a7
Fault Module Name: ThumbsUp.dll
Fault Module Version: 14.1.1282.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5384b50a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00171138
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a7aa
Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
Additional Information 3: a7aa
Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

It’s possible that an error happens when Windows Explorer is either looking up a thumbnail or generating a thumbnail for a SketchUp file. Whatever error happens, it should not cause a crash.

If this problem is specific to one or several skp files, it could be a problem with the embedded thumbnail. If you open and re-save the file, the thumbnail should be refreshed. Alternatively you can disable the thumbnail in Window → Model Info → File.

If the problem is due to a corrupted thumbnailer executable, you should re-install SketchUp to repair the corrupted thumbnailer.

If the skp files are not located on a local drive (network drive?), it could also be related to that.

Thanks for your help. I re-installed and re-saved all of the files, still getting the same problem. It isn’t specific to a few files, it happens with all of them - some of which haven’t been touched in a couple of years.

Some are on the network drive and some are on my local drive. After re-installing the local ones do seem to be fine. I have noticed that single clicking on the skb files (any of them in the network) will cause it to crash immediately… but it still crashes no matter what.

I’ll go through and disable the thumbnails to see if that helps. Though, they have never rendered a thumbnail image, it has always been the SU icon for skp’s, and blank for skb’s.

You could set the Explorer view to List or Details (which should not use thumbnails.)

You never said whether ya’ll are using 32bit or 64bit Win7 ?

SU, being a 32-bit program, doesn’t come with a 64-bit thumbnail function. To see thumbnails, use MysticThumbs or XnView (I think that works for 64-bit.)

After removing the thumbnail icon option as mentioned above, the message changed:

@DanRathbun it’s 32 bit, and already in “Details” view (tiny icons).

I had the same problem and found a fix, and maybe the root cause.

Fix:
Go to your Sketchup installation folder. On my machine it is C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015
Search for “thumb” → I got 2 files, both named “ThumbsUp.dll”
Rename both files to “ThumbsUp2.dll2” (or some other name and extension so they are invisible to the OS).
No Sketchup thumbnails, but also no crashes.

Root Cause (?):
It happens on two of my machines, both with NVidia Quadro cards. Another Quadro user had this problem here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/sketchup/J2gz1P3rwu0
Quadro cards are somewhat unusual (for CAD workstations) – my guess is the ThumbsUp.dll hasn’t been config’d to work with them – yet. Hopefully someone in charge can fix it.

I was having the same issue after I installed 2015. I changed the name of the ThumbsUp.dll file as suggested above and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Same problem here after installing 2015 and the workaround worked. We are also running Quadro cards on the machines that are causing the problem.

Thanks for the pointer dmalicky, hopefully sketchup will fix the .dll 's

On WIN7 and SU2015 64bit the crashes stopped on my machine when the preview pane in explorer was off. preview pane on and those crashes happened

the thumbsup.dll trick seems to work.
i hope they will update soon.

Howdy Folks,

We’re tracking this issue in a different thread. Feel free to go to Sketchup 2015 Install crashes Windows Explorer - #12 by TIG to continue the discussion.

I’m going to lock this thread for now…