Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

Okay, I just looked through this page and with windows 10 and intel hd 4000 graphics I found that the only way I got rid of the problem was to install the driver again. Even though there were no updates to my driver I just went here: Support for Intel® Graphics and forced my system to reinstall the driver. It worked and now I have no select delay. Hope this helps someone.

Hi there,

I have been having this same issue that everyone is referring to about the selection tool causing it to freeze for a few seconds. I have gone through and uninstalled all of my Windows updates and that doesn’t seem to be the problem. But I am confused on how to update the driver. My computer is telling me my driver is updated. If you have any advice on this I would greatly appreciate it! thank you!

Stacy

Haven’t used Sketchup in a few months, (last time in Aprilwhen it worked fine) and came back to the slow selection tool. I tried a lot of the options above but they didn’t work. I couldn’t roll back the windows update as they problem update was in April and not visible. Not all the check boxes for hardware acceleration were visible in the OpenGL area of the preferences window and i have an Intel HD 500 inbuilt graphics card so i couldn’t select an alternative graphics card as i’m on a laptop. When i went to Device Manager/Display adaptor/ selected my graphics card and tried to update my graphics card i already had the latest driver and i couldn’t roll back my driver as it was greyed out (apparently this is because i have a new-ish laptop and no driver to roll back to) so i was kinda stuck and i couldn’t find any other solutions in this forum or any others. Also tried right clicking the shortcut to Sketchup and running as administrator and in compatibility mode on windows 7, vista and XP!

Here’s how i fixed it (on window’s 10 at least, not sure if the same on other versions)

I went to Device Manager/ Display adaptor, selected my graphics card, clicked Driver tab and clicked ‘Update driver’, clicked ‘Browse my computer for driver software’. Clicked ‘let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer’ and it had an older driver from 2016. I selected that and installed it and it fixed the slow pointer problem.

I’m not sure where the driver was stored on my PC already (greyed out update says not) or if my repeated previous attempts to update the driver by searching for driver update in the update driver menu downloaded it.

Hope this helps.

Don’t click on the option to look on your PC for the latest driver.
Let Windows find the best one - i.e. off the Internet…

???

That’s what I did and when windows searched the Internet it only found the latest driver for my graphics card and the slow selection problem remained.

Above in the discussions for many rolling back to an older driver to fixes the problem but I couldn’t as the button to roll back was greyed out. Quite a number of people have said theirs was too.

I managed to roll back to an older version fixing the problem by finding an older one stored on my pc. Worked for me when all the other options listed in the whole thread didn’t work!!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, this worked for me too, on my desktop running Windows 10 with Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 card. Followed steps as listed via Device Manager/Display Adaptor/Update Driver. Selected “Browse my computer”, then “Let me pick from drivers on my computer” and four drivers were displayed. I chose and installed the one from Intel dated 10/7/2016 and problem is FIXED.

I’ve been fighting with this since August and had tried everything else recommended with no change. Thank you David7

I tried uninstalling all of the old windows updates as mentioned in other posts and updating graphics card drivers. Nothing there worked. The patch linked above and here did the trick, finally…

I’ve encountered the very same problem after a Windows Update to my RealTek Audio Driver. Why the Audio driver would affect anything is beyond me but I’ve resolved the issue using the following procedure.

• Open Device Manager
  • Select Sound, video and game controllers
  • Select Realtek High Definition Audio
    • Right Click and Select Uninstall Device
    • Reboot OS
    • Windows will reinstall the Device Driver
  • Retested Sketchup - Selection Tool worked correctly.

I did not try it 1st, but selecting ‘Roll Back Driver’ under the Properties for that device may have also worked.

2 Likes

After trying all the above and more for more than 2 hours… Your metod works!

Thank you mate!

Just got my new
Dell Inspiron
Win10 Pro
integrated Intel HD 620 graphics

direct from Dell, and I’m getting the selector tool lag on Sketchup Make 2016 and 17. No option to roll back drivers or uninstall updates as it’s a brand new machine. I tried @David7 's method of finding another driver on the computer (but the one I found is by Microsoft and it’s from 2006, not 2016). I suspect that I’m not using my graphics card at all with this driver, because SU2017 won’t open at all while that driver is active…BUT SU2016 works without lag.

However, I went back and updated to the latest driver from Intel (again), and now…
SU2016 selector works as well as ever if clicking or triple clicking, although the click and drag function is a little wonky and lags slightly (tenths of a second, still usable)
SU2017 will open again, but the selector tool is laggy and unusable.

I’ve read this entire thread and tried every solution I could. This is the only one that had any affect. I’d love to know why switching drivers back and forth helped SU2016 (but not SU2017). I don’t know if my experience will help anyone, but please, anyone with any success with this bugger, please post about it.

Thank you so much David7, I had 2 drivers of Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 and only the 2016 worked fine on my windows 10 pro computer.
I registered only to say thank you and happy new year!!!

1 Like

I have Intel HD Graphic 520 on my ProBook 450 G3. I had the same problem and none of the above suggestions worked. I downloaded the latest driver version directly from Intel. During installation, more precisely after unpacking the installation archive, an error message was displayed that this driver is not intended for my computer. At this point, I found a directory in TEMP and copied the contents of the folder. Then I did a manual installation of the driver, the procedure is listed several times above, and everything works as it should!

I have SketchUp Pro 2018 and I accept all Windows 10 updates. There seems to have been a lot of updates recently. My Select Tool was slow to react and also would not show the drag box as you moved the cursor, so you couldn’t see what you were including from your model. Your fix worked for me; I just went back to an older graphics driver from 2016 following your steps. Thanks very much.

I have been fighting the Select tool lag by upgrading HD 4000 drivers and trying to roll back Windows upgrades for about 11 months now on my Acer laptop. When all else fails I use the web based SU Free.
I have now had a motherboard failure and it is time for a new laptop. Does anyone know of a list of graphics adapters that have never had the select tool lag problem? I’m thinking that I should avoid Intel graphics adapters. I would like to be able to use SU 2017 for the next few years or at least until the web based version is improved significantly. I am a retired hobby woodworker and can’t justify the cost of the Pro version though I don’t know if the Pro version would have solved the problem.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tengo SU 2017 con windows 10, y lo que hice fui
-Desinstale controlador Grafico desde el administrador de dispositivos
-Desactivar actualizaciones automaticas
-Reinicio
Luego de eso no volvi a tener problemas y funciona todo, incluso sin problemas con Vray 3.4

For some month the re-installing Intelhd 4000 driver from files (download from intel website) after every windows update has worked. The latest updates unfortunately lets Sketchup unusable even if I try to reinstall Intel drivers. I really can’t understand why trimble does not fix. Is it possible that only such application hangs? Is it possible that is only MS fault?

If you click with right mouse buttons works!

There is a fix script for version 2018, but the real solution is to keep the Intel drivers in order. Yes, basically this is a Microsoft/Intel problem with system updates. Another solution, if possible, would be to get a Nvidia graphics card and keep its drivers up to date.

I have a tablet pc wacom. Impossible to change graphic card.

Please explain “keep drivers in order” please. Every time windows updates I re-install the Intel driver. It works till
last week, not now.

And 2017 users?

You’ll have to keep chasing graphics drivers since Microsoft keeps screwing them up. If I were you, I would find a driver that works and keep it around so you can roll back the driver when a new one falls to work correctly.