Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

I just tried this… nothing for my UHD Graphics 620

Is it possible to rectify the problems with your computer by adding a graphics card that is actually up providing decent OpenGL support?

I wish I could say I am tech savvy enough to know what you are referring to but sadly I am not. I am running the new Surface book 2 if that helps. The NIVIDIA 1060 didn’t have a “roll back” option so I tried, as recommended, to roll back my 620 to no avail.

You didn’t say you had an Nvidia card but looking at your profile, I see now that you did list it. It should be plenty capable of handling SketchUp but it does need to be set to be the default for SketchUp. Right click on the desktop and bring up the Nvidia control panel to see if it it is the default for SketchUp.

Out of curiosity, what kind of a deadline could you have with SketchUp Make since it is for hobby use only?

I FOUND A SOLUTION!! Run Sketchup in Compatibility mode. I picked Win 8 because I know it works cause I run SU17 on a Surface Pro at work. Simple AND WORKS! I tried all the other stuff…drivers, update rollbacks…

You aren’t married are you… :slight_smile: JK
My church is wanting to do some improvements and they found out I know how to use SketchUp… deadlines don’t always have to be associated with business transactions.

1 Like

So I just switched this over, it was set up to use the 620, and so far that seems to do the trick! Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Let me be more specific. I updated WIN10 (Windows 10, version 1709) (kb4048955), I rolled the driver back to
10/24/2016 21.20.16.4542

HP Pavilion 7th gen i5

It seems this issue is so hard to track because it involves an on board GPU by intel, and a certain combination of OS and Driver, and is complicated by how these combine with accessory GPU. You may have the right combination of driver and update but the effect wasn’t triggered until an update kicks the GPU back to the on board. It is complicated by how irregular driver updates can be, and the many different styles and attempts by users to throttle updates, and by MS to push updates. The result is instead of an easy to track break, it is a trickle and long term recurring iterations of the problem. It seems to me that a large part of the problem lies with intel, and specifically the challenge of using the same chips for laptops, tablets and touch displays, and combos, and the drivers needed. After that MS’s desire or need to push updates regardless of the desires of the user. Anyhow. My fix is still working on 2015 and 2018pro, and I have noticed the speed and battery life of my machine is back up where it was. Re-installing the most current driver allowed for my laptop (there are several newer drivers on the intel site that hp will not allow installation on my machine) brings the problems right back. Backing up the OS previous to the Fall Creators update also fixes the problem with the most current driver, but is difficult and dangerous to maintain. So for now, OS updates, and keep an eye on the Graphics driver is working for me.

Did you try the posted workaround for those Selection-lag victims using SU18 with Win10? It may be a better option given that MS will still be issuing updates.

still no solution. pretty much avoid the select tool as much as possible.

Solution: got a new laptop with a better graphics card.

And exactly how does this help anyone?

Well, seeing as I’ve tried just about every single “solution” since
creating this post only to have the issue return: I’ve concluded that there
must irreconcilable issues with the integrated Intel HD4000 and the
sketchup 2017 software. I spent months and lost a lot of hair uninstalling
security updates, reinstalling drivers, disabling processes and every
single other temporary solution.

The only permanent solution I’ve found is removing hardware obsolescence.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I am presently using the older SketchUp Pro 2015, and I too am facing similar issues lately; the screen freezes for a few secs when I try selecting my model, or when I’m double-clicking to edit a group, and even when I left-click and drag to add objects to selection. I scrutinized my PC for the suspected windows update KB4013429 (which I learnt about going through this thread) but it’s in vain since I don’t see any such update been installed on this pc. The problem’s arisen in the last two days, and the only updates that I could find during that time is a couple of driver updates from Intel for the display, both of which can’t be uninstalled or reverted back to the prev version. Kindly suggest me relevant solution to troubleshoot this issue…

Since nothing has changed in Sketchup 2015 for more than a year and your problem just started, it has to be related to some recent change on your computer.

Why can’t you revert to the previous driver version? Check the Intel site for drivers for your card and compare the version that was installed to what they offer. If your computer is a laptop, also check with the manufacturer to see if they have a different driver available.

Some laptop users have reported that changing the power profile to favor performance instead of battery life has helped them. You might try that.

Depending upon your computer, maybe you can add a graphics card that is better suited for the task than the Intel HD Graphics have proven to be.

Thank-you Dave for replying to my query and getting in touch as soon. I am using a Win10 Home Basic laptop; there’s no option so as to add/change graphics card on this laptop.
I encountered this issue only very recently (2 days ago), so I don’t think that’s got anything to do with the power-saving mode (on battery) or the performance profile related to it, since SketchUp used to work just as fine before.
I am very much certain that this issue has arisen due to one of the recent updates that’s be installed, but I am unable trace out the faulty one. Is there by any chance there’s a different update that’s also been rolled-out during the same time as KB40135429 responsible for these issues?

disabling the option “Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Use Hardware Acceleration” should fix the issue, which is available up to SU v2016 only.

Thankyou for your support. I just applied the fix and it did solve my issues to a great extent; the process is not as slow as I experienced in the last couple of days, still not the same result as it used to be before… however manageable, so thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Solution: I tried everything: GL, driver, I think everything mentioned above. Finally, I did find a solution, for which I am thankful to God.

Run Sketchup in Compatibility Mode. It worked when all else had failed. And continues to work!

I used Win 8.

You can do the whole thing from a right click on the shortcut to Sketchup (or the .exe I think as well). I also found that running the Compatibility Troubleshooter, along with then running the program As Administrator, brought the speed of the Select tool back to what it should be.

1 Like