Newbie with questions

SketchUp is a surface modeling software program and is not really a solid modeler. Models created with SU display faces and edges but volumetric solids are not represented in their true form. The behavior you describe is the expected response from the software. You should be able to modify the lengths in any event however, just be sure to select a face to be active before you initiate the push-pull operation. Unless you need to represent the interior of a piece of dimensioned lumber, the surface modeling process should suffice under normal circumstances.

Post the file in question if this doesn’t fully respond to your inquiry.

Having established that, is it adequate then to use the rectangle tool to add a face ( in essence to provide a plug) at the end of a tube, thus providing a face to which the push pull tool will work?
If you can understand what I just said…you are a genius. I really is difficult to explain the process I am trying to communicate.

I’m no genius. How about adding a picture so we can see what it you’re trying to do?

I’m sure that the difficulty can be assuaged by showing us what you see when you perform the operation. Just POST THE MODEL so the issue can be observed and someone can offer a palatable solution.

I’m not a genius either. But it seems to me you are describing the process backward: you draw the rectangle first and then use pushpull to extrude it into a board. Unless you drew it starting from a rectangle drawn on another face, both ends will be closed (and if you did, pressing ctrl will cause pushpull to preserve the starting face instead of thinking you want to create a recess in the original face).

However, if you somehow get a tube lacking a closing face, you can trace any edge of the end with the line tool to persuade SketchUp to create a face there. This technique works with any shape face so long as the points are all coplanar.

my guess is you forgot to select the end when first made…

dcrochet7:
Hope this helpsa some;

1. The first time you start SU it asks you to select a template. That allows you to establish the selectable options each time you start SU as baseline for you drawing with those options preselected. The SU backup file creation discussed is not set by default, so if you had a file open, did some design then closed without saving a backup is not created. I would go ahead with global wild card search *.skp and *.skb just to be safe but chances of finding are probably low;
  2. I noticed you seem to want to use groups vs components in your model. In most cases using components is the best choice. Why? Take your 1 by example above, you can scale the one design for different lengths so one design can suffice for many different lengths. You should read the help in this area. If you change the basic design of that component then all those you have in the model will change to reflect that change. You can scale, rotate, and move a component without changing the design.Like all software there are few “quirks” you will run into but will learn as you go.
    Just some thoughts for you and welcome onboard.
    I have a few years on you.

dcrocket7—

FWIW, it sounds like you might have closed your model without saving. If this happens, you get a prompt asking if you want to cancel (not close the model), not save or save. This comes up unless you just saved it.

In other words, if you didn’t save it at all, or if you didn’t save after your last edit you will get this dialog. All you have to do is hit enter to have it save. If it’s the first time, you get a dialog box asking where you want it. If it’s already been saved, it just overwrites the last saved file.

Best,

Jim

I am fascinated by your demonstration and would appreciate it if you let me know how you you were able to put a video in your message. I don’t know if you were able to read the other comments made by others but one of the comments suggested that it would be better if I could post the drawing I was having problems with…well I have no clue how to do that…please advise.
Thanks

two basic ways;

1. Drag and drop the file into the replay window you have open;
  2. The replay window has a black upward pointing arrow ( seventh from left side ), click on that, find the file using the browse option box and it will then be uploaded.
    There is a file size limit and if SU will not allow the upload because it’s too big then use a file sharing site like Drop etc, upload file, copy URL location and post that herein so we can find it.

.;
Hi again Don,

Take a look at the attached graphic. To upload a flle simply click on the upload arrow as shown highlighted and select your file. Just follow the onscreen prompts and your file will be attached to your post.

JV,First let me wish you a Happy New Year.
I asked Santa to give me the user manuals you recommended and I got two, one is the “Missing Manual” for SK UP and the second is the “Sketch Up for Dummies”. While they are not the ones you recommended and not exactly what I asked for they seem to cover the subject well.
I think I will not be able to add layers in SU Make. Following the directions closely I clicked on the layer icon > clicked on the down arrow expecting to find a + key, but there is none available. I think I read some where that layers work in Layout and are a sole function of SK Pro? Please advise.

Layers and adding layers is not just a Pro feature. You can do the same in SketchUp Make.
I don’t have SketchUp available right now but my suggestion is to try once more. It’s there for sure, 100%

And if you have a Mac you can even add layers by typing new names in the ‘Entity Info’ window’ in the Layers name field. (not available in the Windows version).

dcrochet7
Suggest you spend short time going through the self paced tutorials. You can use the books you got to support that effort.
To get there: start Sketchup;
click the help tab at top page ;
then select learn;
then knowledge center;
then self paced tutorials.
That will then take you a number video tutorials staring with basics proceeding through more complex operations.

In regrads to missing model:
start windows explorer;
in upper right corner there should be a search box;
enter in that *.skp Exact as just shown. ;
that should find all files with the skp extension.;
If nothing is returned try same but with *.skb instead. Su does not back up files xxxx.skb automatically unless that option has been set in your perferences. The *.skp will find all files with that extension regardless of its name.
I do not have Windows 10 so hope it is still the same.
You set your preferences via the template. Those books you have should cover how if not ask again here.
Setting Up Templates | SketchUp Help that shows you how

Hello Don,

Thanks for the new year greeting. I wish you and all SketchUp users a happy and productive 2016 and I hope your holiday season has been enjoyable.

I agree with the several responses already received. The SU books that Santa delivered to you should serve you well. I encourage you to take full advantage of the many effective tutorial videos found on YouTube and the SU website. These videos offer quick and valuable resources to augment your skills and they can help you rapidly get up to speed in areas where your skills are not yet up to par. If you have not seen these yet, maybe these introductory vids on using layers may prove beneficial: SU Training Series: Layers - CLICK THIS
or try this one:
Harwood Podcast #35 - Layers - CLICK THIS

Mastering the use of layers is essential to productive modeling in SketchUp. You will need to be comfortable in this area to really become adept in using the software because layers are the means for controlling what is seen or not seen and they are a primary attribute in SketchUp (both Pro and Make).

It’s good to see you’re still hanging in there. Good luck.

jvl

JV, Please tell me how I can increase the text size in outliner, currently the text is too small for me to be able to read it comfortably.

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:27:42 +0000
To: dcrochet7@gmail.com

1 Like

I am not aware of a specific method for modifying the font size in SketchUp’s Outliner, but there may be a way to change the text size through your computer’s user interface. The following link offers a discussion of several potential methods for altering text size and hopefully one of these will work for you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Font-Size-on-a-Computer

A tutorial I’m using demonstrates how “making changes” in a component causes changes to all such components. For example: using a component containing a set of roofs rafters, the demo shows the operator selecting a “single rafter” in the component to effect changes. My problem is when I try to select a single rafter the entire component is selected. I must have improperly created the offending component. How can I select that single rafter?

Could you share your SKP file so we can see how you created it? It could be something simple like needing to open the rafter component.