Loss of WebDialog Functionality in All Extensions, 3DW and EW

Oh I did not know this! I just confirmed, I opened the MMC and tried to add the Group Policy Editor snap-in, and up popped a hand-slappin’ messagebox.

Another reason to always buy the upgrade to the Pro Windows edition. (I inherited this machine with Win 7 Home Premium on it already.)

Hi There

Just wanted to point out that a user of our SketchUp extension faced similar WebDialog issues in his environment, which is Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit, with SketchUp 2015 Pro 64 bit and Internet Explorer 11 installed. After long negotiation and research we found out that SketchUp is running IE in IE 8 compatibility mode, or probably it relies on IE 8 installed in some weird and unpredictable location. We don’t know exactly which of these two reasons is a case. We’ve checked IE 11 settings and they were all right - there were no means of compatibility mode enabled.

But this forum thread has lead us to the right solution - install 32 bit version of SketchUp. It works perfectly now. I’m not sure if we’ll be able to do any more investigation on customer’s side, but if it will help you to diagnose the issue - please let me know.

Thanks for the info. We’ll look at it, and post here if we can capture exact steps, but you’ve provided some good clues.

@enepomnyaschih Is there anyway to find out if your client had 64-bit or 32-bit Internet Explorer ?

Waiting for a response.

What I noticed before is that he had Internet Explorer available in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, running iexplore.exe in them gave me exactly the same (or very similar) IE 11 running. But now I see that on my computer it is the same - and both iexplore.exe give me the same version of IE, likely 32 bit, because I don’t see “64 bit” remark in About dialog. I guess that’s just how it works.

That’s why I’ve asked him to check if he has “Internet Explorer (64 bit)” in his Start menu, and also send me a screenshot of “About” dialog.

While, on Windows 64 bit, IE is in two locations,Program Files and Program Files (x86), using any of them will launch iexplore.exe, which is always a 64 bit manager process. For every tab, a child IE process is launched and the bitness of it is decided by the “Enable Enhanced Protected Mode” setting. As per this the only way to make tabs run a 64 bit process is to set the “Enable Enhanced Protected Mode”.

Here is the relevant text.

If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer’s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. When this option is enabled, all Content Processes that are running in Protected Mode (e.g. Internet Zone and Restricted Zone, by default) will begin to use 64bit Content Processes.

So, it seems like, for SketchUp 64, enabling “Enable Enhanced Protected Mode” may be worth a try…

EPM was introduced for IE10 on Windows 8 and enabled for new Windows 8 experience. This didn’t affect many add-ons because add-ons are enabled only for Internet Explorer for the desktop; however, EPM may now [as of IE11 be] enabled for IE on the desktop. Update add-ons accordingly.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn384053(v=vs.85).aspx

For more info:

Enabled “Enhanced Protected Mode”. Javascript still showing as not enabled in SketchUp when navigating to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/is-javascript-enabled from within the 3DW/EW windows.

Please see How to enable JavaScript in your browser and why for steps to enable
Javascript. Remember to restart IE and SketchUp after making the change.

It is only within SketchUp that Javascript is disabled. That is the problem, Javascript in IE browser has been functioning and showing as enabled, yet simultaneously Sketchup shows the opposite.

IE:

Sketchup:

Another good read:
[url]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2013/12/25/how-internet-explorer-enhanced-protected-mode-epm-is-enabled-under-different-configurations.aspx[/url]

Response from my client:

I’ve asked the Applanix IT department; they tell me that both 32bit and 64bit versions of Internet Explorer are installed. When I start Internet Explorer I get both an ‘iexplorer’ (64bit) and 'iexplorer*32 (32bit) process.
I’ve also checked the path that the IE icon in my start menu points at, and it points at the 64bit version (but this also starts the 32bit version).

In “About” dialog, there’s no 64bit mark.

Since 32bit version of SU works for him, I don’t want to bother him by installing 64bit version and trying IE Enhanced Mode. Do you think I should do it anyway?

Has this issue been resolved?

I, too, had the same issue which forced me to uninstall and install the 32bit version.
Curious enough, I am have the same issue in Autocad 2016 64bit.

I don’t know if this is applicable or not to this situation, but several times in the past I found that I needed to make a change in the Java settings. It turned out that it had nothing to do with my browser settings at all. In the “Configure Java” (i.e., Java Control Panel) window, there are two applicable tabs; here are my settings that work fine with SketchUp 2015 (Make) and IE 11:

On a Windows machine, the “Configure Java” is found in the “Start >> All Programs >> Java” folder.

I had a look at my Java settings and all were the same except for “Default Java for browsers” which was set to “Mozilla family” and I have all the “Use TLS” settings checked.
I wonder if the Mozilla setting has anything to do with this issue…

No SketchUp does not use FireFox, (ie the Gecko rendering engine.)

Also the SketchUp websites use Javascript, which is wholly different than Java.
You will find the Javascript settings in the Internet Options dialog. (Which can be accessed via Control Panel as well as from the IE menu.)

1 Like

That’s all good but has this Webdialog issue been resolved yet???

When you ask that question, what I hear is “will you fix my computer or network”. I’ve been on many different computers on many different networks, and I’m convinced that PC’s and PC networks vary so much, there is no one-fix solution. As @DanRathbun mentioned, Java has nothing to do with it.

No, I am not asking anyone to fix my computer or network.

Why are you guys making this such a complicated question to answer?

Here, I’ll make it nice and simple for you guys.

After reading one or both questions below please supply an answer of either “yes” or “no” and nothing else. Simple enough, right?

“Has this Webdialog issue been resolved yet?”

“Has anyone found a solution to the webdialog issue?”