Loss of WebDialog Functionality in All Extensions, 3DW and EW

it looks to me as if there are two different ‘keys’ depending on ‘bit-ness’…

if IE is fine on v2013, I would presume it’s set for 32bit, and if it fails on v2015, doesn’t that require the 64 bit ‘key’…

I don’t have a ‘Windows’ box to check, but it must be something that basic…

john

Dan, thank you for your continued help. Most of all those steps have already been done, though I did overlook the drop-down to show “All add-ons” and disabled everything with the exception of any Java add-ons.

Do you think uninstalling SU and trying the 32-bit installer instead is worth a try?

@Barry I do have Comcast, however have upgraded the modem since. Besides, everything in SU2013 works like a charm on the same machine.

John, I was just having this exact thought. Going to install 32-bit version and live with it if it works.

Here are the “Browsing” and “Security” sections
from the “Advanced” tab of the “Internet Options” dialog.

(For comparison)

:bulb:

Identical to the settings on my end.

@russelb923, the only difference in 2013 vs 2015 would be what’s in your session.dat or cookiejar.xml, so deleting those files would clear it, one would think. But 2013 shouldn’t work at all unless you’ve updated your SketchUp.dat per our help instructions, because Google no longer redirects 3dwarehouse requests to us as they did for 3 years after they sold us. Did you do that?

The 3D Warehouse in 2013 does indeed show a message along the lines of it not working as it is an outdated version of SU… however the main issue is the WebDialogs not displaying properly or at all. Which, in the case of 2013, all plugins and their Webdialogs display and function correctly.

EDIT: deleting cookiejar.xml has no effect. No session.dat file is present in that directory.

You can type control-L in that window, and try to go to any other address on the internet. Can you do that in both 2013 and 2015? Try simple websites with not javascript, those with javascript, etc…

yes, this is really difficult to understand what’s going on.

Which window do you mean?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

@barry @DanRathbun So, SU2015 most definitely has javascript disabled. Tried the same websites in both SU2013 & 2015 using CTRL-L inside the Extension Warehouse window and only 2013’s window displays javascript-implemented pages correctly. My mind is blown, what could be the culprit if everything that sends javascript information to 2015 (to my knowledge) has been investigated?? :pensive:

UPDATE: Installed 32-bit version of SU2015, all WebDialogs are now fully functioning. Is there a way that Javascript is communicating only to 32-bit apps? And could the cause be from running a 32-bit IE browser?

I think the fact it’s a new application makes it OK. There’s some security setting that disabled it. Make sure to check IE 64-bit versus IE 32-bit settings: SketchUp 2013 was 32 bit. BTW, gold star for @russelb923 for persistence!!!

Hmmm… weird. I have 64-bit Win7. And 2 installs of MSIE. One is in the “Program Files”, the other in the “Program Files (x86)”. They both have many of the same DLL filenames, but the 64-bit edition has many more of them.

I didn’t know we had to have both, but I suppose it makes sense. Each “flavor” of application can interact with the MSIE of the same “flavor.”

So perhaps one of them got corrupted ?

@russelb923: You might be able to do a “Repair” using the MSIE Offline Installer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

I’m not seeing how to launch the 64-bit IE browser. From launching either .exe from their respective root folder there are no telltale signs which bit-ness IE I’m in. The “About Internet Explorer” under the settings cog do not seem to show bit-ness, or any varying information between the two for that matter. The “Internet Options” seem to mirror one another no matter which .exe is launched. Seems they are just the same .exe copied over.

Thanks for the gold star, haha. I do not like leaving problems unsolved, particularly when like this one they allow me to learn as many things as I have. But truthfully I am nearly fed-up at this point.

@DanRathbun I do see there are many more .DLL files in the 64-bit folder, though more interestingly I noticed the 64-bit folder contains an IE specific command prompt “iediagcmd.exe”. Could this be of some use?

Tried to repair with the Offline Installer, but it immediately states “Setup can’t continue because a more recent version of IE is installed on your computer”

@russelb923
Although primarily about CSS/HTML5
this article refers to there being 2 separate, 32/64 bit settings…
does it shed any light on the issue?

There are two different sets of keys for 32 bit and 64 bit applications.

64 bit or 32 bit only machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

Value Key: DWORD - YourApplication.exe

32 bit on 64 bit machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

Value Key: DWORD YourApplication.exe

Thanks John,… I really did look for Internet Explorer FeatureControls in the HKLM hive, but did not find them.

You caught me!

In the MSDN page I linked to in the 2nd post of this thread, I never noticed the “or” in the registry keypath statements.

Looking in them, I now realize I have 3 different emulation settings on machine. This results from installing 4 SketchUp versions, out of order (with respect to their release date.)

I installed SU2014 first, I think. Then SU2015, when after it. Because I had to test a old plugin specifically on SU2013, I installed it next. Then later a reported bug for a plugin running on SU8, prompted me to install SU8, last.

Anyway… so, reading more closely,… and following links up the document chain to the introductory document:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537184(v=vs.85).aspx
gives:

Many Feature Control keys can also be controlled by network administrators by using Group Policy. When a group policy is modified, a value similar to the one above is written to the policy hive in the Windows registry.

Because Feature Controls can be configured in multiple places, Internet Explorer will look for values in the following order of precedence:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE policy hive (administrative overrides)
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER policy hive
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER preference hive
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE preference hive (system default settings)

So HKEY_CURRENT_USER has precedence anyway.

I see no policy settings for MSIE, in the following policy key locations:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

*In fact these keys do not even have a “Internet Explorer” sub-key.

Note, also that the User hive has next to nothing under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ key, as bitness is a system level concern.

Is there anything I can take away from your findings?

You could check Security Policies (Group and User) to see if somehow something got set as a policy that overrides application settings.

Sorry, you have to open Control Panel > Programs and Features
Then in the left nav column: View installed updates
And uninstall any update to “Internet Explorer 11”

(You’ll find it buried down in the “Microsoft Windows” section. I have like 350 updates in that section.)

Pardon my inexperience, but I’m not exactly sure where to start. From a brief google search, it appears I cannot view/edit Security Policies in the Home edition of Win7?

I ended up coincidentally doing the update removal, thank you anyway. Although, uninstalling the IE updates made my computer hang for hours on the “Preparing to configure updates…Do not turn off your computer” screen, and I had to force shut down. Not knowing if I had ignorantly done the wrong thing, I reinstalled what must have been the same IE update (after it oddly failed 3 times) then had a second update appear.

I did not think to try to repair with installer after update removal point, but I will do so after work tonight.