Layout - Updating SU model to 2017 throws out views in Layout

All I can tell you is working with modified scenes the way you are is a recipe for mistakes. That means on every project you are constantly updating modified individual scenes, negating any sketchup template or layout template. Once you have found the style and look you want you create a standard template that saves those parameters in every scene for any project you create. You do the same for layout. This system is bullet proof as you never worry about a scene being modified from your standard.

Doing it where you are customizing every single scene adds way too much complexity to the process (what DaveR is referring to).

Matt and I discuss this extensively in our book, with graphic and actual template examples. Once you see how easy it is, you will greatly appreciate the speed that connection between SU and LO provides.

The issue you are having is not that 2017 doesn’t do what you want, it just doesnt remember the “modified” scene from your 2016 file. I think you would also find that happened with 2015 files opened in 2016. The reason is it is a new file in a new software engine. “Modified” means it has lost its full connection to the SU file. I would only use it for a presentation - slides, on the fly etc, but never for the permanent depiction of a scene that can so easily be saved in SU.

I think you need to explore this other method since that is how the two programs really talk to each other.

Best,

Nick

Thanks Nick,
I do understand (I hadn’t appreciated that the link is broken when the scene is modifed in LO) - as I said to Dave R [quote=“samyell, post:20, topic:37567”]
I’m just desperately clutching at straws hoping not to have to change my workflow and ALL my old drawings
[/quote]
The method I’ve used up to now was just really quick and easy and worked really for all kinds of situations but (given that its now causing problems) I guess its time to reassess. I will make some inroads into this and re-learn my scene / viewport setup.
Thanks again for yours and Dave R’s time on this and apologies for the long rambling emails (they definitely werent intended to annoy or be dismissive), but was all in the hope of a nice easy solution and not having to do too much updating or reworking…(cries onto sketch pad!)
All the best

For anyone else who has experienced these issues - I received this email from a member of the Sketchup team the other day:

_Hi Sam, _

_Thanks for your note. _

_We have two other post with the same issue _
https://forums.sketchup.com/t/layout-scenes-and-scale-nightmare/34813
https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-2017-scenes-not-working-as-expected-in-layout/34210

_And as mentioned by Marc in https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-2017-scenes-not-working-as-expected-in-layout/34210/11 we are working on a fix. Please check the release notes for the future maintenance releases of 2017 for official word that it’s been fixed and also subscribe to the about forum posts for any further updates . _

_Please reply to this email if you need further assistance with this specific issue. _

_Regards, _
_Yogesh
he SketchUp Team at Trimble Inc.

Marc’s (from Sketchup) post said the following:

This is a bug related to the graphics refactor. It will affect scenes that don’t save one or more of these settings: camera, shadow, axes. We’ve got a fix in progress!

DaveR and Sonder pointed out that there are some issues with using modified scenes and have advised that scenes should be used for every viewport so I’m having a go with this workflow on some current projects - thanks again for your advice DaveR and Sonder.

Clearly not addressed in su2018 either. I have been asking su for several years now to find a way of remembering scene changes in viewports. what a waste of time!

Hi sabv,

Trimble resolved this specific issue sometime around february (I think). I haven’t noticed it re-occurring in SU 2018 yet and have been using it since it was released.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

I spent more than 2 hours to review a model last night and create new scenes for each flipping viewport in layout…

Layout is still too stupid to remember combination of scenes within a viewport. It forgets these toggles as soon as you update a model in su. Instead of working with just 10 scenes by combining them in various layout viewport, I have to create 100 of them in su, one for each viewport.

What a waste of time and Trimble continues to ignore requests for some kind of basic scene manager for people who use more than 10 scenes.

What’s wrong with some collapsible scene folders where you can drag scenes into? Or, better still, get layout to remember combinations of scenes in viewports.

What a joke!

samyell 

November 27
Hi sabv,

Trimble resolved this specific issue sometime around february (I think). I haven’t noticed it re-occurring in SU 2018 yet and have been using it since it was released.

Thanks

Sam

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

sabv 

November 27
Clearly not addressed in su2018 either. I have been asking su for several years now to find a way of remembering scene changes in viewports. what a waste of time!
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Sabv,
Are you assigning your viewports to specific scenes in LO? When you select the viewport in LO what does it say the view is in the scenes tab - if it says “last sketchup view” then whenever you save the SU file and update LO all the scenes will flip to the current view in SU.
Inked2017-11-30_1651_LI

Are you altering the scene by double clicking in the viewport within layout and then moving the model around in the viewport? (This is not a recommended method for creating scene views according to a lot of SU users but I have done this pretty much since I started use SU / LO and haven’t found it a major issue). If you are doing this, do you have the check box box for “save camera view” un-checked in the scenes tab in SU?
Inked2017-11-30_1648_LI

If you leave this box un-checked the SU won’t remember that there is a camera associated with it and will allow you to edit the view in the viewport and retain that view when the SU file is saved and updated in LO.

My workflow is to have a standard set of scenes in my template file - most of which have no camera but which have different layers visible and different styles applied. I then bring my SU model into LO and the VERY FIRST THING I DO is select the viewport and link it to one of my scenes in the scenes dropdown in the ‘sketchup model’ pallet in LO. Use a scene that doesnt have the ‘camera location’ box ticked (in SU). Once thats done if you save the SU file the view that is shown in LO wont shift because there is no camera associated with it.

As I said, many people advise that you have a scene for EVERY view port. You can get issues with dims not snapping or styles not updating properly. Personally I know what the limitations are and have found Im able to work pretty well with just a couple of scenes in my SU (that have no associated camera) and I control them in LO. I adjust the view in the viewport in LO, either by selecting a standard view (front, top ect) or by double clicking into the viewport and adjusting it to suit in LO.

Hope this helps?

Samyell is correct. Most of the time issues like this are respectfully, user error. If you save your scenes and assign the viewport to that scene, it will never be an issue, regardless of release. Most often it is exactly as shown in samyell’s post…either camera location is not checked in SU or the scene is not selected or is “modified in layout.

Hi Yogesh,
I have been using SU since 2019, and recently upgraded to 2022 PRO.
I have a large project that is in need of revisions. After performing all revisions in main SU model I have reloaded several SU template models. I then open my Layout files and update my viewports and to various scenes in my template SU models. To my surprise after updating a scene it is as it the program is getting the wrong scene!
Anything you can suggest to get my project revisions correctly shown on my drawings?
Joe Raccuia, P.E.

It would help if you share the LO file so we can see how things are set up. If you’ve modified scene properties for the viewports in LO, they will override the scene properties that are set in SketchUp so the viewports won’t correctly reflect the scenes in SketchUp.

Attachment available until Feb 6, 2023

Hi,

Attached is my LO file, I did mod properties from LO,

Joe
Click to Download

PLUMBING, HVAC & ELECTRICAL.layout
906.9 MB

So any modifications you’ve done to the viewport will override those properties from SketchUp. Changing the scene properties in the model won’t have any impact on the viewport because you’ve told LO you don’t want those scene settings in the SketchUp model.

Example:

In this viewport you’ve overridden Camera, Effects, and Style properties so if you changed any of those in the model and updated the scenes, those changes aren’t going to show in LO until you update the reference and click Reset for the properties. In the case of the Camera properties, your override also means you wouldn’t see a change in the viewport if you select a different scene. Best practice is to avoid modifying Camera properties for the viewports in LO.

Another thing I notice about your LO file is the fairly huge number of .skp file references. That could lead to confusion if you are editing one .skp file but a different one is actually the reference. There are quite a umber of unused references so purging would help. Even without cleaning up the SketchUp files purging the unused references reduces the LO file by about 75%.

I opened one of the .skp files, MEP Model_67957.skp, fixed incorrect tag usage …
Screenshot - 1_7_2023 , 7_47_03 PM
… and purged unused stuff from the model …
Screenshot - 1_7_2023 , 7_48_50 PM
… which reduced the .skp file size by about 31%. I would expect to be see similar reductions in files with the other .skp file.

Dave,

Thanks for the detailed analysis, I performed your recommendations and I am back and running!

Is there any way to DISABLE making (scene properties) modifications in LO viewports similar to what we had back in version 2016 or earlier?

a very relieved SketchUp modeler thanks to you,

Joe

Very good.

You can disable the ability to edit camera position in the viewport. The tickbox is in Preferences>General. By default the box should be unticked and you should leave it that way. That’s a feature that was added in the last few versions and wasn’t available in 2016 or earlier.

There was nothing else in earlier versions to prevent modifying scene properties. Now you have more options to modify scene properties. Some of them such as tag visibility and line style by tag give you great power and can make your SketchUp models much simpler and easier to manage. Other settings, especially some of the Camera properties can wreak havoc when you need to make edits to the model or change scenes. You can change Scale for Parallel Projection scenes but you shouldn’t ever need to double click into a viewport to zoom, orbit, or pan and you shouldn’t ever need to select a Standard View or manually tick the Ortho box.