Is it possible to skew a protruded hexagon around its central axis?

Is it possible to skew a protruded hexagon around its central axis?

I have attached a screenshot showing what I am trying to do. I have rotated the top hexagon and connected the points but the skewed sides do not form a face…

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Extrude then twist.
Here I have used shift to constrain the rotate tool on the blue axis, and then inferenced it to snap to the center.

3 Likes

wow, thanks so much, you are a life saver… PS my girlfriend (who has been watching me struggle through this) says she loves you :smiley:

We are 3d printing a part that is missing from our food processor!

(moved from Tutorials to SketchUp category)

1 Like

Some further discussion on why what @Box showed works: when the top hexagon is twisted with respect to the bottom one, their edges are no longer coplanar and cannot form a single face. But when you rotate the top after extruding so the side faces are already created, SketchUp “auto-folds” the sides by creating triangles across them. If you watch, you can see these triangles from the shading in Box’s animation. The autofold action automatically softens and smooths these new edges, so you don’t see lines. You could accomplish the same thing manually by drawing diagonal edges in your example - it just takes more work.

1 Like