How to design gear to transfer vertical power to horizontal power

Hello
Could anyone direct me to where I can look read and learn how to design gears in Sketchup
According the concept they have to work in soft water
so they would be quite large in size (I guess they would be made in metal)
(what other material is preferred for long endurance in water?)

The project calls for a system
1/ one vertical gear driven by water force (like a basic water wheel like behind a Mississippi steamer boat)
2/ that turns another horizontal gear
that should power a rotating vertical axe

Thank you very much

Hey this wont tell you how to model it but… As far as integrating them together to transfer the directional rotation point. Take a screen shot image and import it to your screen it will act as a group, so moving it and rotating it around are easy. Then just try to duplicate what you see. Plus draw a rectangle so that it covers the image, then click on X-ray mode. You will be able to trace over it. On You Tube there are a few tutorial vid`s that show how to draw a helix and screw threads. Most run to Google, I choose Bing as it gives you image and video sources right from the open page, this gives you a slide show to scan over. Giving you many views of what you want to model. Then just start using you imagination,with what you do know will work. Best way to teach yourself…Peace…

This link will provide a number of tutorial vid`s that show what you may need also…Peace…

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Draw+a+Helix+in+Sketch+Up

This will lead to a page that has a number of tutorial vid`s for what you may need…Peace…

Thank you VERY much for your reply and help
I will attempt that and then post for comments a.s.a.p on other projects in the moment that need to be done.
PS:
Additional questions:
May I ask you opinion. I am a self taught 3D CAD user (meaning I have to try and learn by error and don’t design extremely difficult things, although I think some of my buildings are pretty complicated.
This gear project is my first “mechanical project” Till now I only do homes and building furniture etc
I have a very hard time to RENDER (to give the final look to homes etc)
What do you recommend as additional “affordable” software to render. I have 4GB of RAM and work in Win7 still
don’t want to move to Win8, 10 yet.
Currently I design a line of Murphy beds called Virtualbed dot com and do most by Photoshop and photo “collaging”
but I would love to try to do it in Sketchup and do the final rendering etc
Do you think that since SketchUP has changed ownership that the new paying version has MUCH MORE
to offer than the last Google version released that I work on and is worth to buy for someone not 100% working on this everyday full time.
Thank you very much for your time and help really much appreciated.

That was a sad day for me when Goggle sold this software as I thought this was the stunning way to go open source
to compete with all the big $ costing software package that cost us already a fortune.

2 Likes

Hello to you and I can give some input but I my self am still in the learning process with this. Truth being I had never owned nor operated a computer until January of 2012. I have been home schooling self teaching, trial and error more so. Every basic need that is required just to become literate on one. I did not even now how to send or compose an email. I started with Windows 7 ( I have x64bit Pro // Office Home~Buisness2010) and very comfortable with it. I hope they maintain it as a work // utility platform. As I hear Windows 8 (and up) has or allows your screen to be like your smart phone. I am looking for a tool and not a gizmo or flashing lights and bells.
I am fascinated with this and could spend hours telling why but I have played with Rhino 5 and found some links for non commercial Autodesk CAD software. I am learning their Sketchbook art/design software and have Corel Painter Essentials 5. No Photo Shop experience ( no time!!) I now have a year with Sketch Up and feeling comfortable as a basic novice. I have found a wealth of resources to build from and a few individuals who have great tutorials. Below is a link for a free rendering program built for Sketch Up. I had installed it two weeks ago and in the process of get it going. I have to work a 40 hour week and what time I do have trying to study all the available material to use or apply. In building my knowledge is tough but I have come along way in a short time and the best is yet to come!!

I found a blog for www.finewoodworking.com Design.Click.Build. the two main editors work with SU and have hundreds of projects and plans. In following these it has opened my eyes to uses and utilization of these tools abilities I could not have imagined. Dave Richards is one of them and was invited as a speaker for SU`s bi-annual educational summit. The blog has free tutorial videos that are step by step and completely explained. He was the one who mentioned this rendering program as being FREE and is what he uses for. For his furniture plans and designs.

I started with the free Sketch Up 8 and got to use their 2013 Pro edition with an educational license. The edu. version is only $49 for a year as long as you meet their required criteria. I have been saving 20-30 dollar since 2014 and splurged for the difference and bought the 2015 Pro license. I got very lucky, I also pray every day. But last December they ran a special deal for the month of December and I saved $100.00!!! GOD is great!!! If you just need it to draw out ideas or make parts templates, the free version is assume. But if you, and I do in time will be using it as a way to improve or add another level to you business aspect. To be able to to produce cut lists, PDFs, and import your file into Lay Out. It alone will allow you to produce your own professional plans and with the Dynamic Components feature. Produce spread sheets and materials list as in Excel. It is like having Photo Shop Elements 9 or 10 for basic photo editing/family albums. You need Creative Cloud or Illustrator to compete or enhance your work commercially.
So they have always had the Pro or free version, Google - now Trimble. I found a way to afford it. Like my desktop I bought: Dell XPS 8500. What they wanted for a 19 or 21 inch monitor and speakers to go with it. $ 394.00 I told them to keep them and used that savings for 16 Gigs of RAM instead of the stock 8 Gigs and an AMD graphic card upgrade. I use my 42 inch Vizio flat screen and it is a kick ass monitor with Dolby sound!!! I use its remote to select from TV to HDMI for the desktops output source.

Please feel free to reply back or add any questions or advice as I am only growing and have a long way to go. But I see improvements everyday and love sharing ideas and thoughts. Thanks for the reply and sharing your ear. Feel free to reply anytime and…Peace…

More gear options. One of the nice benefits of online gear generators is you can test the fit and function of your design.

Hello William

Thank you so much for your reply
This is a lot to take in :slight_smile:

Waouh 16GB of RAM I wish
Your example looks nice
I just finished dinner here.
Thats a lot to reply to just right away.
I am into more “contemporary stuff” for furniture :slight_smile:
Bravo for these curved pieces on top of the cupboard!
Mmmh how do I attache a pic here I don’t see a button for this.
More later, till then.
Thank you for you writing back.
Regards
Vic

Thank you for your link.

I found the link “online gear generators”?
Are the extension files of this 26$ software compatible to be imported to Google SketchUP ?
Thanks
Regards
Vic

If you are interested in that one, there’s a trial version. Also you can contact the developer. He recently updated the program. The download is a standalone program. It exports CALLADA - which SU imports, among other formats. From its manual, the output is 2D. Try out the free version online too.

For your particular gear, one of the other listed plugins may give you the 3D version of your gear. Work out tooth and gear ratio issues with the online program may be a workable option too.

Hi vstapelbsa, hi folks.

Search for “bevel gear” on the Internet.

Just ideas.

Jean

1 Like

Thank you.
That might work as the gear has to work and action within the water elements
sorry for asking a probably a stupid question I am NOT a mechanic at all.
So if the gear wheel is the same size the rotation will be the same.
Si if I want to accelerate the initial rotation that would be rather slow
due to natural water force driving it
So for me then the first natural driven one must be the bigger gear
and the second smaller one would be turning faster.
Correct me if I am wrong
Thank very much for your input
Regards
Vic

Hi.

Yes, the second gear must be smaller to turn faster.

Best regards.

Jean Lemire

Here’s one solution using the SPGears plugin (Note: All geometry was created 1000x and then scaled 0.001 before exporting). To increase the number of points on the involute, I changed the following 2 lines of code:

ang += 9.degrees
ang += 9.degrees

to:

ang += 2.degrees
ang += 2.degrees

For a 2:1 ratio, you need a relationship like this:

I used SPGears to create a 2" 24-tooth main gear and a 1" 12-tooth spur gear:

As rendered by a 3D print shop:

Model in SketchUp 8 format: bevel_gear_large.skp (150.3 KB)

1 Like

Hello

Sorry I have been a bit silent
but I got a call and I will FINALLY be on the operation table
for a double herniated disc adjustment OP that I have been waiting for
nearly height month
(and two years for the MRI, welcome to the “free” Canadian medical services
if you are lucky to survive long enough
So I was sort of busy and WILL be probably busy hopefully adjusting to a
pain free life again
after the 29th
So please bear and “gear” with me till then
Many thanks to all the replies

Vic

Hi John.

I updated my profile and maybe the over zealous LinkedIn sent E-Mail. The send switch is ON by default, darn !!!

I placed it to OFF. I hope everything will be OK now.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards.

Jean Lemire

Post blanked.

Sorry for any inconvenience (this is not correct LinkedIn).

Jean

Jean Lemire would like to connect on LinkedIn. How would you like to respond?

Accept: https://www.linkedin.com/blink?simpleRedirect=0Qc3ANdPkMc3gNdz8McP0Rc30Sfkh9rCZFt65QqnpKqipMcz95bldndPRVpkJApn9xq7cCt7xBt5ZQs6lzoS4ZsTgCrT9Bq3RJ9zsZqmMCcj1vsClArCBJpn9vt7dBtmtvp6VLoSlPfmJB9ClQqnpKimtBkClOs3Rx9CsJoDwPpncTomAJujATuCxEbjRBfP9SbSkLrmZzbCVFp6lHrCBIbDtTtOYLeDdMt7hE&msgID=I6005030283626180608_500&markAsRead=

View Jean Lemire's profile: https://www.linkedin.com/blink?markAsRead=&msgID=I6005030283626180608_500&simpleRedirect=1DhjsBoDwPpncTomB5dOlVejtWq6x5dOkJr6NRryRQu6lQnSlIqmpLsD0Je2RLsClEbj4MnT9Bp6VFrmlOnThPpnlDnShKrSdBsORIrmkZr6BxrklHsDgCt7xBt5ZBr6BCrT9MbjwJrT9Bq2QNc5ZOpmhKqmRBsBZQsSlRpRZArCZzpncJr6RBfmJOt2oSczsUdPgTc38Zp6A_tSlFtyZBr6BCrT9MbSRJrScLrmZzbCVFp6lHrCBIbDtTtOYLeDdMt7hE

You are receiving Reminder emails for pending invitations. Unsubscribe here: https://www.linkedin.com/blink?simpleRedirect=6RLoQkO9mNFomRDc3gBcPdycz4NcP0Opz5AcSgRpjsTejgUoCoRp6cQoSgTc3t2cylPpmBIs6lOhj8Bs7lEoThBqTcZr6BxrmkCc3oMc38Zp6ACd30VcjsRc30QcjoOc3cMdj0MdzRAqmsCcj1vsClArCBJpn9vt7dBtmtvp6VLoSlPfmJB9DhUpnhvoDlPrDkJdyRytndKtiQNc5ZOpmhKqmRBsBZQsSlRpRZArCZzpncJr6RBfmtKqmJzon9Q9CZLpPRQ9CsJoDwPpncTomAJujATuCxEbjRBfP9SbSkLrmZzbCVFp6lHrCBIbDtTtOYLeDdMt7hE&msgID=I6005030283626180608_500&markAsRead=

Vous avez reçu une invitation à rejoindre un réseau. LinkedIn utilise votre adresse e-mail pour faire des suggestions à nos utilisateurs dans des fonctionnalités telles que Les connaissez-vous ? Se désabonner ici : https://www.linkedin.com/blink?simpleRedirect=6sJoDwPpncTomAJujATuCxEbjRAqmkCun8TtmFGdRlakmZ4j6RFjktok4ZIkAUQlAhEj3lMgABDnRpTsT1Op6V5sj4Sc6ATp6h2h396omxibmpQujdWe7BNhD5OsDkVuk5Ll4lir5kQnQBNbkN6eksTgQEUe3BptkJxj516izpqsAJ8lncSqlEOlk51gk5ccSxUiAx9jz18hR51fmhFrSMCcj1vsClArCBJpn9vt7dBtmtvp6VLoSlPfmJB9B4ScSh5hSxmhD9JhB51fmVBqSZkp6BJ9CVRr3RQ9CsJoDwPpncTomAJujATuCxEbjRBfP9SbSkLrmZzbCVFp6lHrCBIbDtTtOYLeDdMt7hE&msgID=I6005030283626180608_500&markAsRead=Cet e-mail est destiné à SketchUp Forum. Découvrez pourquoi nous avons inclus ceci en suivant ce lien : https://www.linkedin.com/blink?simpleRedirect=e3wTd3RAimlIoSBQsC4Ccj1vsClArCBJpn9vt7dBtmtvp6VLoSlPfmJB9CNOlmlzqnpOpldOpmRLt7dRoPRx9CsJoDwPpncTomAJujATuCxEbjRBfP9SbSkLrmZzbCVFp6lHrCBIbDtTtOYLeDdMt7hE&msgID=I6005030283626180608_500&markAsRead=
© 2015, LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct., Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.