Hidden group can be seen through a 6mm panel

But although sounding like gobbledegook I have actually managed to separate it.

Thanks everyone.

Have you purged the file? (This removes copies of textures and images retained within the file but not in current use in the model.)

Window > Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused

-Gully

You can open the panel group for edit and then select the contents. In Entity Info you will see that they are associated with the Framework layer. You can reassociate them to layer0. That will fix the issues with mysterious vanishing. If you back far enough away from the structure, though, the frame grid will still bleed through the panels. This is a limitation of the OpenGL display system. From far enough away, it isnā€™t able to calculate that the grid is farther than the panels, so it shows both.

Thanks Gully I will need to do that on a few of my filesā€¦

Ok All seems to be working fine and this solution solves my initial problem.

BUT now Im questioning why when I have my tolerance of units set to 1mm is the Geometry from behind showing through a 6mm solid panel. Was there a another way to solve this ?

I will definitely be using layers in the future.

The bleed-through issue has nothing whatever to do with your units settings.

The units you set in Model Info affect how SketchUp displays values, not how it captures those values internally. If, for example, you set mm with precision 1mm, that just means that values will be displayed in mm with no decimal places. It does not cause values to be captured in mm or rounded to whole mm internally (in fact, SketchUp internally captures everything in inches no matter what units you set). 100.25mm is still a legal value but will display as ~100mm. If you enable length snapping in Model Info->Units, new lengths will indeed snap to that unit where possible. But it isnā€™t always possible! For example, the 24 edges making the representation of a 100mm circle canā€™t be snapped to a whole mm and still fit the circle.

The bleed through issue occurs when OpenGL is calculating what is visible at each pixel on the screen view. It has to do this calculation based on distance from the camera position. When another entity is close behind a visible entity, as you zoom out (move the camera farther away) the relative difference between the distances becomes smaller and smaller compared to the distance to the camera. At some point, OpenGL is no longer able to tell them apart, so it displays both. In your case, this happens when the camera is far enough away that 6mm is negligible compared to the camera distance.

Most of the time, this effect is not a problem because you donā€™t view model objects from so far away - or when you do it is because they are small objects in a much larger model and you donā€™t notice the bleed because they are tiny in the view. The only possible fixes are to make the object in front thicker or to make the object behind not visible - preferably by making it a group or component and associating it with a hidden layer.

1 Like

Because it is actually the edges that bleed through and not really the faces you can hide the edges of whatever is underneath if you donā€™t want to put it on another layer.
Sometimes you want to see parts of the object that bleeds, so hiding itā€™s layer can be a problem.
I used shift with eraser to hide only the top edges.

1 Like

Hi Box.

That is a beautiful recreation of the original problem, giving a great visualization to Steveā€™s description of OpenGL Z-fighting, and a beautiful solution to the problem.

(Iā€™ve been dealing too much with unintelligible handwaving trying to pass as technical explanations and itā€™s really refreshing to see something that is so elegant. Thanks.)

August

Hello August! Havenā€™t seen you around for a whileā€¦

Anssi

Hi Anssi.

Off topic reply continues in the Corner Bar: Dropping by to say Hi

August

Sorry been away. Thanks for that video nice of you to make the effort.