Help can not launch sketchup

i installed sketch up make 2016 and everything went good i get to the window where you pick your template and click start sketch up as soon as i do the system crashes and the error report window opens can someone please help me

did you instal the 32bit version of SU to match your system?

yes i installed the 32 bit program

Usually this is a graphics driver issue. What you list as a graphics card doesn’t look right. SU doesn’t use DirectX, rather it uses OpenGL. That category should identify manufacturer and version - which also may identify whether you have a desktop or laptop.

Try updating your graphics driver.

Did you install any plugins?

how do i find out what card i have i mean where do i look because i didnt think directx looked right

i am pretty sure my graphics card is a ati radeon x1200 series (0x791f)

I keep reading all of these problems that are bugging the people who use Windows as primary O/S and WOW am I Glad I use Linux . . Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit version and installed latest version of Virtual Box and put windows 7-1 in there to run Sketchup Make 2016 . . No Video problems or connection problems or any of the what ever problems ! . . ( Virtual Box installs a video driver which make it do WHAT YOU WANT not what windows wants ! )

is that something i can put on my laptop and if so whats it cost and where can i find it

SU has always worked fine for me on Windows - and that’s since SU4. The vast majority of users use Windows. And unlike Macs, Windows allow users quite a few more options to customize the computer hardware. SU requires a !00% OpenGL compliant graphics driver to provide the needed function for the modeling tools to work. And ever since SU has offered a free version, a lot more people with deficient graphic drivers have been using SU. SU does allow for that by bypassing hardware acceleration provided by compliant cards and having the CPU do all the work if needed though.

The few driver-related problems that pop up on this forum are mostly attributed to the graphic card and the driver that controls that card. The driver is specific for the card, and provided by the card manufacturer. It is not a MS product.

@br1zzl3 has 3 issues to look into as he has a notebook. To save power, notebooks will use the integrated graphic chip on the motherboard instead of the graphic card by default. So check the ATI control panel for the option to use the graphic card driver instead of the integrated graphics.

Also update the video driver on your motherboard. Check with the notebook manufacturer for that - encase you cannot use your graphic card. And update your ATI card directly from ATI for the latest driver. ATI/AMD has a spotty record regarding their drivers. For the past year ATI/AMD cards have been the source of most of the reported driver-related problems. So cross your fingers here that updating the driver will help.

Ubuntu is a Operating system not just a down load . . Completely runs the computer like your windows does . . and virtual Box is free from Oracle !
And they would like a donation at Ubuntu to down load but you can get it free also ! Ubuntu.com down load and burn to a DVD USE the TRY IT first it runs from the DVD player and your ram ONLY . . Before loading it make a copy of ALL FILES you may only think you want but all Doc’s pic’s music and downloads and other things so IF you want to ever go back you have everything still there . . Also you can just load the files into the same folders on Ubuntu like downloads to downloads and music to music and so on !
Also when or if you want to do this send me a message and I will send you a PDF file with links to visit to make running Ubuntu almost as easy to run as your windows is
This is what running windows with Sketchup make looks like in Ubuntu Icons down the left are Icons for Ubuntu looks a bit like Mac . . Also choose a password which is not just 4 some things long mine is like about 12 things long . .

Around 2% of SU-users run Linux. You’ll have to jump through a few extra hoops and learn some new things to replace your OS with Linux. Win 7 is a nice OS. When someone already owns it, it would be a bit odd to replace it with something that tries to emulate it. Besides virtual environments are not officially supported.

2 Likes

There is Classic Menu Indicator which makes running Linux so easy it looks like a windows menu with all the sub menu’s in it and you can find almost any thing ( Oh yeah the Ubuntu Resoruces Center has a ton of FREE software ) and a lot of windows stuff you can run in Wine ( a windows enviroment type thing ) you will be able to open any thing any one sends you and it will work in linux . . To be mean you can send it back to them in Libre office 5 ( entire Office suit for free ) format and drive them crazy trying to open it LOL

i dont understand what is wrong with my video card or driver i was told it was pretty decent i just wish i could get su to run off the os i have the driver issue is because my laptop (dell latitude d531) came with xp and was upgraded to windows 7 and somehow my driver was corrupt so i had to install new driver software problem is the dell website doesn’t support windows 7 so i have an xp driver on a windows 7 os and they aren’t compatible and do not know what to do anyone have any ideas

my drivers are completely up to date i just check with the website

Did you check with AMD about your card drivers?

Something being “decent” is not the same as being 100% OpenGL compliant. The vast majority of programs do not have the OpenGL requirements of SU. So most things you have on your computer will run fine.

OpenGL has about 300 function calls. Some driver developers choose to not include all the function calls. And it’s the AMD driver developers that have the spotty record of not including all function calls.

Did you check your Catalyst control panel to see which graphics driver is being used - motherboard chipset or videocard?

Did you install any extension/plugin - like V-ray?

After checking with the card chipset manufacturer - AMD/ATI, try disabling hardware acceleration as denisroy suggested above.

Did you send in any bugsplat when SU failed to open? SU team members do check this forum and can look up a crash report which is a nice backup.

i did send a message and gave my email in the bug splat i will try everything you have suggested thank you for the help will let you all know what happens

And when you’re in Catalyst to check video card settings for SU, check the 3D settings to ensure anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering for SU are set to application-controlled. With my Nvidia card, I usually get to the card settings by r-clicking on a empty space on the desktop to get the option to choose the Nvidia control panel.

@jody could someone look up the OP’s bugsplat? He cannot open SU after the welcome screen. The driver is suspect.

i cant figure this out. i play games from my laptop all the time and the graphics are good. i dont get why i cant use sketchup but i give its not worth the headache

What an offensive thing to say!

1 Like

Sorry for your feelings . . got lots to add but not here !